"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 05-26-2013, 11:45 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

ISO Help with Soft Pretzels

Hi

I was trying to make soft pretzels today. Every time i put in the pretzels to bake in the oven, the pretzels would actually harden up and not remai n soft. They also dont expand in the oven as much as it should. Any ideas why this is the case?

I put it in for 10mins at 220 degrees. Is it the oven? Also i may have put in extra yeast accidentally. Could that be the reason? Please help.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh dear, baking and pretzels are not my thing. Be patient, someone who knows should be here shortly.

Welcome to DC!

Old 05-27-2013, 01:33 AM   #3
Head Chef

Did you boil them first? I've never made them, but I've read that you need to boil them before baking.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Well no, I didnt boil them as such but they were dipped into hot water solution (with baking soda) for a second each. That is just to give them the crustier outer coating.

Unfortunately my pretzels become crusty all throughout. I dont think its because of the boiling but of course am not sure which is why i am here.
Old 05-27-2013, 04:39 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't have an answer for you, but I want to welcome you to DC. This is a fun place to be. And we seem to have an answer to every problem. These are wise folks here, some who have been baking and cooking for a long time. Boiling seems to me to be your answer. But I have only made them once. So what do I know.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

If you are an amazon prime member you can borrow this Kindle book for free...

Pretzel Baker: Recipes and Techniques for Professional Results: Anne Boulley, Al Boulley: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

I downloaded it when they were running it as a Kindle free-be. It has some great tips and recipes in it for making pretzels and might be able to tell you what's not right.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Head Chef

Ive been making soft pretzels for years. Ive switched to Alton Browns recipe from this website.

Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

Soft pretzels cook kinda like bagels. They need to be boiled in the baking powder solution ( as you mentioned) but as I do ( and in the recipe) you do this for 30 seconds per pretzel( I flip them 1/2 way through the boiling process)

Also, the temp to cook them at in the recipe I used is 450 F for 12 - 14minutes

I not sure why yours are hardening up so much at 220. Ah, your at 220 C :) which is about the same temp. Make sure they are a decent size. The only thing I can guess, is maybe your pretzels are too thin or flat and are dehydrating during the cooking process.

As a tip, what I do after they are done cooking, is I melt some salted butter and mix in a little sugar to give it a very slight sweetness to it, and brush it over the pretzels.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
Head Chef

Here is the video that goes along with the recipe link I mentioned above. Sometimes a visual will help more.

Homemade Soft Pretzels Videos : Food Network
Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

When I make soft pretzels I don't boil them.

I do drop them into a pot of boiling water with baking soda, but it's only a dip and a flip then out and onto the baking sheet.

Top with desired amount of salt and bake at 425F for about 8 - 9 minutes.

Always come out golden brown and nice and soft inside.

Larry I am going to try your suggestion of brushing with butter, salt and sugar after they are done with my next batch .. sounds really good !
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Larry I am going to try your suggestion of brushing with butter, salt and sugar after they are done with my next batch .. sounds really good !
Gives it a little of that 'Auntie Annes Pretzel' taste to it. salty / savory.

I also dont make the typical pretzel shape. every time i do, each one looks worst than the next. So I convinced my kids that we are making " snake pretzels" and they think its the coolest think and saves me the embarrassment of making ugly looking pretzel wannabe's :)

To this day , ad the age 16 and 18, they still call them snake pretzels :)

Tags
other