ISO Key Lime Pie REC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Home chef

Senior Cook
I just inherited about 20 key limes. I've never made a Key Lime Pie but thought it would be good to take to a party tomorrow. I have had 2 different kinds, the whipped cream style and the gellatenous kind. I think I'd like to try the gelaten kind but may have to do the cream style instead. Anyone have any recipes to share??

this is the easiest recipe, and everyone likes it better than any recipe i have tried ...

1/2 c key lime juice
2 egg yolks
14 oz sweetened condensed milk
graham cracker crust (see below)

wire wisk all ingredients, bake at 350 for 10 minutes.

graham cracker crust: 16 crackers, 3 T sugar, 1/4 c. butter
bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes

hope you like it - and don't tell anyone how easy it was!:chef:

Looks like a great recipe! I was given another recipe similar to yours but with more egg yolks and the addition of the lime zest.

Another thing I'm thinking about is the garnish. I was thinking of toying around with making some sugar crackles with lime flavor and green coloring. Gotta practice on that one first.

Here's my recipe:

1/2 cup lime juice (3 to 4 limes)
4 teaspoons grated lime zest
4 egg yolks
1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
11 graham crackers, processed to fine crumbs
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Procedure:

Whisk the egg yolks and lime zest together in a bowl until tinted light
green. This takes about 2 minutes Add milk, then juice, stir well and
set aside at room temperature till it thickens.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix graham cracker crumbs and sugar in another bowl. Add butter and stir
with a fork until well blended.

Pour mixture into a 9-inch pie pan and press over the bottom and up the
sides of the pan. The back of a spoon or the bottom of a measuring cup
can be used to firmly compact the crumbs.

Bake on the center rack for about 15 minutes until the crust is lightly
browned, remove and let cool to room temperature.

Pour the lime filling into crust, spread evenly, and then bake for 15
minutes until the center sets, but still wiggles when shaken. Remove
from oven and cool to room temperature.

Refrigerate for at least three hours until well chilled.

Serve with a dollop of freshly whipped cream, perhaps sprinkled with a
hint of lime zest.

Here's a simple, creamy and delicious recipe you might like. This will fill a 9 inch graham cracker crust. You can also double, or triple it and put it on a graham cracker crust in a rectangle pan and cut into squares.

Creamy Key Lime Pie

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
1/3 Cup lime juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated lime peel
2 drops green food coloring (optional)
heavy whipping cream, preferably not ultra-pasteurized

Whip about 1/2 cup of whipping cream, set aside.
Beat cream cheese and condensed milk. Add juice, peel and food coloring if desired, beating until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Spread evenly into crust. Chill about 1 hour.

Whip more cream, adding a little powdered sugar. Pipe whipped cream around edges of pie, and garnish with slivers of lime peel.

That's very cool, Home chef. Mine came from a Jimmy Buffet website. It's just like the ones we had in Key West, in '86, and again in '96.

Dina, I have made the cream cheese one, and it's delicious, but not like the ones they make down there.

HomeChef,
Use one cup of heavy whipping cream and beat it with electric mixer until stiff. You may also sweeten it to your liking.

Right Constance! If you want some southern key lime pie, you must try this one; it beats any other one I've tried.

Key Lime Pie with Raspberry Sauce

Pie Filling
8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2/3 cup. cold water
3 egg yolks, beaten
1/8 teaspoon. salt
1/2 cup. flour
5 tablespoons. Sweetened Lime Juice
5 tablespoons. Key lime juice or reconstituted lime juice
1 teaspoon. lime zest (very finely grated)

Pie Crust
3/4 cup. graham cracker crumbs
1 cup. ground pecans, finely ground
3 tablespoons. sugar
1/2 teaspoon. cinnamon
4 tablespoons. butter, melted

Raspberry Sauce
3/4 cup. raspberry preserves
1/4 cup. water

Pie Filling: Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy add sweeten condensed milk, beat mixture until completely blended. Use a 2 quart sauce pan to whisk egg yolks with water, add salt and flour. Stir constantly, completely mixing flour into liquid. Add lime zest, Lime Juice and Key Lime juice. On low heat, or in a double boiler whisk the egg mixture and stir constantly until mixture thickens resembling pudding in texture and thickness. When egg and flour mixture is thickened add cream cheese. Whisk constantly taking care not to scorch the bottom of pan. Stir until pie filling starts to thicken and is completely mixed. When the filling is thick pour into the prepared pie shell. Chill pie several hours before serving

Pie Crust: Mix all together in a bowl, add melted butter blend well. Press into a buttered pie pan. Place in a preheated 350ºF oven for 7 - 10 minutes. When crust is slightly golden, remove from oven and cool.

Raspberry Sauce: Mix ingredients in a saucepan until preserves reaches boiling point. Simmer for 4 minutes remove and pour through a fine strainer removing seeds and chill.

Sauce may be used to garnish pie when served.

Last edited:
Dina, I'm sorry. I feel like a tool LOL. I didn't read past the recipe portion and didn't see the "Whip about 1/2 cup of whipping cream, set aside" part.

I've decided to use an white wine / orange / cinnamon reduction for my sauce.

1 1/2 C white wine (I prefer Chardonnay for this)
3/4 C Grand Marnier
1/2 C water
1 C sugar
Zest and juice of one large orange
1 stick of cinnamon
4 cloves

Combine all ingredients in saute pan and bring to boil. Reduce until it reaches a thick syrup consistency. Strain & drizzle over whatever you want.

I'd love to dress the pie with candied lime peels or something similar. I've asked for some directions or guidance in another thread but have had no luck yet. I'm making the pie tomorrow morning.

Glad I found this thread. I watched Barefoot Contessa today and she made a frozen key lime pie. Ok, so I thought I would try that until I read the warning at the end recipe about consuming raw eggs (this pie is not baked), so I've decided to go with Constance's recipe since I have all those ingredients on hand and the pie is baked!

Dina said:
Here's a simple, creamy and delicious recipe you might like. This will fill a 9 inch graham cracker crust. You can also double, or triple it and put it on a graham cracker crust in a rectangle pan and cut into squares.

Creamy Key Lime Pie

8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
1/3 Cup lime juice
1 teaspoon freshly grated lime peel
2 drops green food coloring (optional)
heavy whipping cream, preferably not ultra-pasteurized

Whip about 1/2 cup of whipping cream, set aside.
Beat cream cheese and condensed milk. Add juice, peel and food coloring if desired, beating until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Spread evenly into crust. Chill about 1 hour.

Whip more cream, adding a little powdered sugar. Pipe whipped cream around edges of pie, and garnish with slivers of lime peel.

My granddaughter will love this one!!

Back
Top Bottom