ISO Mini phylo shell baklava recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lorynemeth

Assistant Cook
Hello and greetings from a new poster. In some magazine (probably a women's magazine) during Oct. or Nov. , I saw a recipe for mini balkava, using the frozen mini phylo shells. I think the recipe took almost the whole page (large picture and large print?). And I think the filing was mixed nuts, but it said you could use all walnuts. Then there was the syrup -- but I don't remember if this was poured on and then baked or not? Did anyone see this recipe and save it? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

lorynemeth said:
Hello and greetings from a new poster. In some magazine (probably a women's magazine) during Oct. or Nov. , I saw a recipe for mini balkava, using the frozen mini phylo shells. I think the recipe took almost the whole page (large picture and large print?). And I think the filing was mixed nuts, but it said you could use all walnuts. Then there was the syrup -- but I don't remember if this was poured on and then baked or not? Did anyone see this recipe and save it? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
lorynemeth, I have not seen the recipe you are referring to. Basically baklavas is a traditional Greek dessert. It has numerous thin layers of alternating phyllo (fillo) sheets and nut filling. The nuts preferred in Greece are walnuts, however in Turkey, Lebanon etc. it is made with pistachios. I do not think it's a good idea to use mixed nuts. After baking, the syrup made up of honey, sugar and spices is poured over the baklavas after letting it cool.

As for the frozen mini phyllo shells, I have not heard of such a thing. Phyllo here is available either fresh or frozen. The frozen comes in 1/2 kg (about 1 pound) packs containing about 12 individual sheets. Fresh phyllo is sold by weight and you can get whatever quantity (or number of sheets) you wish to have. The size of each sheet is 30 x 40cm each. However, fresh phyllo may be difficult to get in your area.

Making baklavas requires quite a bit of skill and experience. Being able to handle the phyllo without it drying and breaking into pieces as well as baking and keeping the baked phyllo crisp even after the syrup is added is the central point in baking good baklavas. The most common failure is insufficient baking which leads to a soggy concoction after the syrup is poured.

lorynemeth said:
Hello and greetings from a new poster. In some magazine (probably a women's magazine) during Oct. or Nov. , I saw a recipe for mini baklava, using the frozen mini phyla shells. I think the recipe took almost the whole page (large picture and large print?). And I think the filing was mixed nuts, but it said you could use all walnuts. Then there was the syrup -- but I don't remember if this was poured on and then baked or not? Did anyone see this recipe and save it? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

It's a cool idea to use the phyllo shells for a paklava type dessert. Where I shop they are in the freezer cabinets along with the ice creams, frozen breads, etc.

Do a search for a baklava or paklava recipe and use the recipe for the nut mixture and for the syrup and you can go from there. My guess is that you put the nut mixture into the shell, put the lid on and bake it. After it cools, you give it a good dose of syrup.

Give it a try.

There are a lot of different recipes out there for this dish so pick one that sounds good to you.

Back
Top Bottom