ISO Perfect apple pie filling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm using a very deep dish pie pan. I don't have to worry about my crust, because that part comes out perfect, top and bottom. But my filling comes out too runny. I'm looking for the best apple flavor, not too sweet, but more sweet than sour, and with a strong apple flavor. My last batch was made with a tart apple that except for the tartness, was rather bland, though it gave me a perfect texture.

So, I guess I'm looking for the perfect apple, and the amount and type of thickner referenced to the amount of apples used, and how the filling is constructed in the pie shell.

My other pies come out wonderful. But apple seems to give me problems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

gw, my wife makes awesome apple pies; never runny, and nicely sweet and a little tart.
she usually uses romes, galas, and macintoshes in the pies, and only adds some sugar, cinnamon, and butter.

we're going apple and pumpkin picking tomorrow, so i'm sure we'll be getting apples for pies. i'll ask her to approximate a recipe for you.

mix in a 2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch to sugar mixture.

Thats what i use for a 10 inch pie
I always use 3 different kinds of apple in my pies.
this week i used Macs. empire, and red delicous, only because that is what i had on hand, It came out great.

mix in a 2 tablespoons of flour or cornstarch to sugar mixture.

Thats what i use for a 10 inch pie
I always use 3 different kinds of apple in my pies.
quote]

Exactly what I do when I make my pies, but I always use cornstarch.
I find that using a mix apples makes for a bette tasting pie.

I usually use 2 good sized apples of each kind (6 apples total) is enough for a 10 inch pie. but if they are medium to small I go for 3 each.

Honey Crisp apples are wonderful for pies. They are slightly tart and don't turn to mush. I always toss the sliced apples(about 4 cups sliced) in 3 TBS flour, (and although I don't usually measure this part)approximately 1 tsp cinnamon. My pies turn out just right, not runny.

I think a mix works well also, say about 2/3 red apple and 1/3 green. that gives a tartness and the apple sweetness.

Corn starch works well, but I find it a bit "unforgiving". if you use just a bit too much, your filling will get very thick, so I usually use flour. It does take a bit of practice for sure.

I also sprinkle a bit of lemon or lime juice on mine as I do like it tart.

also, there seems to be some controversy over weather to pre-cook the filling a bit in a sauce pan before making the pie..

I plan to try that this year as my pies come out rather "lumpy" looking on top.
Eric, Austin Tx.

Having worked in a pie shop right after culinary school, here is what worked there:

13 oz cut apples
1/2 c sugar
2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t nutmeg
just a touch of water and lemon juice (enough to moisten the ingredients)

good luck

My mom and grandma always used Jonathon apples for their pies and didn't use any kind of thickener...but they were always perfect.
But mine tend to be runny...don't know why...so I pre-cook my apples (with a squeeze of lemon, sugar, cinnamon, a little nutmeg and flour) a little in the microwave first, and then spoon into the prepared crust, dot with butter and bake. The extra juice is great over ice cream.

Back
Top Bottom