"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #11
Head Chef

sweet thanx for all the ideas.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Sex in a Pan II - Allrecipes

I'm not sure how many this would serve, but just thought i'd post it anyways.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
Whats a good French desert? one thats easy though
You asked for easy? This is EASY!

Chocolate Mousse

This is one of the easiest desserts in the world to prepare. Your friends will be so impressed. They’ll think you slaved for hours! They’ll never know if you don’t tell them.

makes 6 to 8 servings

1/2 pound best quality semi-sweet chocolate

6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

1. Cut the chocolate into one-inch pieces and place in the top of a double boiler. Over shimmering water, melt the chocolate over low heat. When melted, add the butter. Blend well. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.

2. Place the egg yolks and the sugar in a large mixing bowl. With a large wire whisk, beat well for about 4 minutes, until the mixture is very thick and lemon-colored.
3. Add the chocolate mixture to the yolks and blend well with a rubber spatula.
4. Beat the egg whites with the salt and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff. Do not overbeat. The mixture should be shiny and hold a peak. Fold them into the cooled chocolate mixture. Spoon the mousse into a serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.

Teacher’s Tips: 1. This mousse can be made 24 hours before serving. If made the same day, allow four hours for cooling in the refrigerator.

2.You can "Superfine" regular cane sugar by whirling it in your Cuisinart fitted with the metal blade for a few seconds.)
3. I love to serve Chocolate Mousse in oversized wine glasses, and fill the top with Mocha Whipped Cream.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
You asked for easy? This is EASY!

Chocolate Mousse

This is one of the easiest desserts in the world to prepare. Your friends will be so impressed. They’ll think you slaved for hours! They’ll never know if you don’t tell them.

makes 6 to 8 servings

1/2 pound best quality semi-sweet chocolate

6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
6 large eggs, separated
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
1/8 teaspoon sea salt

1. Cut the chocolate into one-inch pieces and place in the top of a double boiler. Over shimmering water, melt the chocolate over low heat. When melted, add the butter. Blend well. Remove from the heat and let cool for a few minutes.

2. Place the egg yolks and the sugar in a large mixing bowl. With a large wire whisk, beat well for about 4 minutes, until the mixture is very thick and lemon-colored.
3. Add the chocolate mixture to the yolks and blend well with a rubber spatula.
4. Beat the egg whites with the salt and 2 tablespoons sugar until stiff. Do not overbeat. The mixture should be shiny and hold a peak. Fold them into the cooled chocolate mixture. Spoon the mousse into a serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.

Teacher’s Tips: 1. This mousse can be made 24 hours before serving. If made the same day, allow four hours for cooling in the refrigerator.

2.You can "Superfine" regular cane sugar by whirling it in your Cuisinart fitted with the metal blade for a few seconds.)
3. I love to serve Chocolate Mousse in oversized wine glasses, and fill the top with Mocha Whipped Cream.
salmonella poisoning from uncooked eggs, is that possible?
Old 03-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #15
Master Chef

At our local supermarket, you can purchase Athens brand pre-cooked phyllo dough pastry cups. They are about an inch wide by 1/2 inch high. They make great tart shells. Last weekend, I experimented with two fillings that came out simply wonderful.

The first filling I made used about 1/4 cup sweetened, condensed milk, comibined with about 2 tbs. butter, and a half cup of broken pecans. I mixed the ingredients together and spooned the mixture into the phyllo cups. I baked 20 of these at level 2 in my microwave for 1 minute. The flavor was pure pecan-pie, but in a bite-sized desert that allowed you to indulge your sweet tooth without feeling like you've blown two weeks worth of sugar allowance in one sitting.

The second filling was made by using a 1/4 cup of sweetened condensed milk to which key-lime juice was added and stirred in until it tasted jsut right. I then added about three tbs. of egg-wash made from 1 egg and 3 tbs. water. I mixed the egg wash and key-lime/condensed milk mixture together and spooned into the phylo cups. Again, I baked on level 2 for 2 minutes. The tarts tasted exactly like key-lime pie. But the filling, though filled to the brim, condensed into a little spit inside the tart crust. So fill with whipped cream. It has all the flavor, but doesn't look great without the whipped cream.

You could also put fresh blueberries, or sliced strawberries into the cups and top with whipped cream. This would give the tarts a French-provincial feel.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #16
Head Chef

holy crap all this sounds so good. now i just have to figure out what i want.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:10 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
salmonella poisoning from uncooked eggs, is that possible?
I believe the chocolate mixture will still be hot enough to cook the eggs.

That sounds great - ChefJune I've copied it for later.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #18
Head Chef

I would keep in mind you're cooking for 30 people. Make sure you have the right size cooking pans, serving dishes etc. I would not try to scale a recipe up or down - that's just me. Tiramisu (times 2) or trifle will feed a bunch. You could try a google for cooking for a crowd. Enjoy.

Tags
None