ISO recipe for pumpkin custard pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When I make pumpkin pie I just follow the recipe on the Libby's can. I usually add 1-2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice to make it a bit spicier. Not sure if that can be called a custard pie but it is good.

The Libby's recipe is great! But I've found a recipe to try this year that looks a bit more custard-like: Opal's Pumpkin Pie Recipe | Recipezaar. I haven't tried it yet, but it's the one I'll be using this Thanksgiving. Is that what you meant by pumpkin custard pie?

Hi Granpa,

I hope you're not counting calories 'cause this is the one that I get the most request for:

You need 2 store bought frozen 9" deep dish pie shells. Bake them unfilled as instructed on the pie crust wrapper. You could make your own pie crust if you choose to. You can also prick the crust all over sporadically wtih a fork and/or line the crust with aluminum foil and beans so the crust doesn't rise up.

In a 3 quart pot or larger, add 1 box of the JELL-O Cook and Serve 4.4 oz Custard, 2 egg yolks, 2 1/2 cups of pumpkin (I use the Libby brand w/o any spices), 2 1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream, 3 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spices, and 1/2 cup sugar. I cook it on high heat and constantly stir the mixture either with a wisk or a spatula so the bottom doesn't stick until it boils or bubbles vigorously. (you should hear a constant blup blup blup blup..... not blup----------blup---------blup---------blup...) The last part is important or else it won't firm up so well. Remove from heat then pour the pumpkin mixture into the 2 baked pie crust shell and refrigerate until firm. You might want to decorate it with a little additional whipped cream. Serves 12 - 14 people.

The original recipe called for a good coat of praline made up of brown sugar and butter topped off with chopped pecans on the baked shells before pouring in the filling. I hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom