Italian Croissants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lulu

Head Chef
OK, this isn't a recipe, but a recommendation. I should not have had these, they don't fit in my diet at all, but I am glad I did. I have discovered with glee that in Italy croissants come FILLED! The variety of fillings is tremndous but I had half of each of the following: chocolate cream, cherry yoghurt, pistachio cream and hazlenut cream....I dare not think how many calories that was, and how many flavours there are still to try.....from now on its one on the first weekend of each month and thats it!

The reason I am posting about them is they are gorgeous and thought that if there is anyone looking for new ways to brighten up breakfast these are a winner and worth investigating.

I have made croissants before and found it a long but very rewarding process. My guess is these are filled by syringe after baking, but who knows...the consistancy of the fillings is....well creamy, but not set like creme patisserie..more like thick double cream or yoghurt.

The nut ones were the nicest, the others a little over sweet.....

ooooooh, I'd love to try those!!
I love a plain buttery croissant, and the only filled ones I've seen have had chocolate (love chocolate, but not in a croissant, as it's hard).

do you have any photos to share?

I'll get some photos next time I have them, and yes the soft filling is much more compatible than the hard chocolate of pain au chocolat, IMO!

lulu said:
OK, this isn't a recipe, but a recommendation. I should not have had these, they don't fit in my diet at all, but I am glad I did. I have discovered with glee that in Italy croissants come FILLED! The variety of fillings is tremndous but I had half of each of the following: chocolate cream, cherry yoghurt, pistachio cream and hazlenut cream....I dare not think how many calories that was, and how many flavours there are still to try.....from now on its one on the first weekend of each month and thats it!

The reason I am posting about them is they are gorgeous and thought that if there is anyone looking for new ways to brighten up breakfast these are a winner and worth investigating.

I have made croissants before and found it a long but very rewarding process. My guess is these are filled by syringe after baking, but who knows...the consistancy of the fillings is....well creamy, but not set like creme patisserie..more like thick double cream or yoghurt.

The nut ones were the nicest, the others a little over sweet.....

Hi there,

I have a recipe idea, sometimes with croissants I cut into half (but not all da way down so it split into 2) i put a carmelised banana and on top of that a chocollate ganache and some almonds at the very top.

I use a lot of fillings with croissants, not juz the fruity sweet type filling, but also things like chicken sechuan, smoked beef with mayo n cheese, etc.

I find it easier for this type of croissants if the croissants are not shaped curved and too pointy at the end, but juz roll it straight from the triangle shape so that it will be easier to cut and also u will be able to get more fillings into it. :)

Italian croissants are called "Cornetto" or in plural form "Cornetti". The body is a little different from that of French origin, a bit more dense and brioche-like, and decidedly sweeter. They can be enjoyed plain or, as lulu reported filled, or sandwiched with various sweet treats, jam, cream, nutella etc.
Having one of them with a strong cafè (espresso) is the winning combination for Italian breakfasts for many.

cornetto.jpg

Okay Lulu! You've just managed to make us all drool! How about some recipes? Does anyone have recipes for these filled delicacies?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom