It's National Pie Day!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
Happy National Pie Day! Hadn't thought about pie till I just saw this on the news, now I'm craving something in a flaky crust. Interestingly, they said pies were traditionally savory up until a couple hundred years ago. Not making a chicken pot pie, but I might do a little something different with apple pie. I've made them with cranberries added in, but has anyone made an apple pie with blueberries? I grabbed four pints of the baby blues when a local grocery store had a weekend loss leader, selling them for $1.88. I'm thinking the berries might cook down to too mushy a state by the time the pie is done. But at least my apple slices will have pretty dots!

Any of you thinking pie since I brought up the delicious subject?

I wish I lived in a world where everyday could be pie day, the days when pie was a breakfast food! :pig:

I have never made an apple pie with blueberries in it. I think it would taste good, but I think when the blueberries burst and mingle with the juices of the pie they will be the dominant flavor and you will have a blueberry pie with apples in it, not a bad thing.

A nice change from the traditional apple pie is a frosted French apple pie with raisins. The local grocery store bakeries used to make them, but they seem to have gone the way of the Dodo bird and the Spanish bar cake! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Good luck with your pie!

Happy National Pie Day! Hadn't thought about pie till I just saw this on the news, now I'm craving something in a flaky crust. Interestingly, they said pies were traditionally savory up until a couple hundred years ago. Not making a chicken pot pie, but I might do a little something different with apple pie. I've made them with cranberries added in, but has anyone made an apple pie with blueberries? I grabbed four pints of the baby blues when a local grocery store had a weekend loss leader, selling them for $1.88. I'm thinking the berries might cook down to too mushy a state by the time the pie is done. But at least my apple slices will have pretty dots!

Any of you thinking pie since I brought up the delicious subject?

I wish we could get decent blueberries over here. They are pushed here as a "super food" and very good for you. But they are packed in tiny 4 ounce punnets and costing about £2. (£1 = $1.50) They are also air-freighted half way round the world and chilled to within an inch of their lives. Result - they taste of absolutely nothing.

As for pies. In the Middle Ages the pastry was often only there as a lid to seal the pot of a stew which was going to cook for a long time in the embers of the fire and it was either discarded or given to the poor or the dogs.

In the Cornish tin mining areas the "Cornish pasty " (meat, onion, swede and potato in a folded over "D"-shaped pastry case sealed at the side -
Cornish Pasty – Historical Information – Cornish Pasty Association
). It is said that the pastry needed to be hard enough to stand up to being thrown down the mine shaft to the miner at lunch time! That story may be apocryphal or the result of some poor miner having a wife with little skill with pastry! In other areas, such as Northamptonshire, similar pasties were often very big with a savoury filling at one end and apple or other sweet filling in the other.

Strawberries, raspberries or blackberries go well with apples in a pie (but not at this time of year, obviously) and quinces if you grow them. My grandmother used to make a (usually Cheshire) cheese and apple pie but I never tasted it as I didn't like cheese as a child.

In the north of England 'tater pie is much loved, especially by the older generation and children. It had potatoes, meat and veg in it as well - the amount of meat varying according to what the housewife could afford on the day. Nowadays it's a favourite dish at fund-raising suppers at church or pubs or clubs and voluntary organisations

I've some pizza dough rising in the kitchen - would that count for Pie Day?

Last edited:
I love pie, but alas, I don't know of any place around here that is known for pie, and I don't want to make one because I'll eat too much of it!

I love pie, but alas, I don't know of any place around here that is known for pie, and I don't want to make one because I'll eat too much of it!

I have that very same problem!

A couple of the megamarts in our area have very good in house bakeries and they sell good pies and cakes in single servings.

I hate paying restaurant prices for a single slice, but it is better than looking over my shoulder and seeing the other five pieces bouncing along behind me! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Truth is, I don't eat much pie, but I do love me some cobbler, which is kind of a "loose" pie of sorts. In anticipation of pie day, I made blackberry cobbler last night from berries I froze last year. :yum:

Aunt Bea .. have you considered making a pie and cutting and freezing it in single serving sizes for later?

Today I made a lemon meringue pie. Didn't know it was Pie day so that worked out really well as an excuse !!

Aunt Bea .. have you considered making a pie and cutting and freezing it in single serving sizes for later?

Today I made a lemon meringue pie. Didn't know it was Pie day so that worked out really well as an excuse !!

A pie is a single serving at my house! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It is a great tip for normal folks. If I did it everyday would be pie day. I have found that the best thing for me is a single treat every month or so, usually away from home. Not the best option for everyone, but it works for me.

...I've some pizza dough rising in the kitchen - would that count for Pie Day?

Wow, someone else who knows about making pasties with both a savory, and sweet side. I've been doing that for a few years now, as I read up on the history of pasties (I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan where pasties are a favorite, almost expected, regional food). I needed to make mine a bit different than the normal pastie (identical to the one you described - diced potato, coarse ground beef, onion, rutabaga (swede), salt and pepper).

As far as you pizza dough goes, we have a restaurant in town that was made famous by its "pizza pasties". It's sort of like a calzone, or empenada, but a little different. First, it's made from a 10 inch circle of dough, and so is ten inches from corner to corner. It's filled with pizza toppings such as meat, veggies, and cheese, with pizza sauce. Calzones have no sauce. The crust is then folded as you would fold pastry dough for a pastie, and the whole thing is baked to a golden brown in a pizza oven. I'm telling you that a pizza pastie is an amazing and wonderful thing.

Give the idea a try, and see how your crew likes it. Be aware though, it's very juicy, and very filling. We always ate 1 per person. Now that I'm not a youth, and don't burn as many, 1 pizza pastie will satisfy me for two separate meals, or is shared between me and one of my kids (DW doesn't like sauce in hers. I like extra sauce in mine:cool:).

Now that's a pie.:yum: As for sweet pies, I just made a double-recipe pumpkin pie, and a sweet bean pie last weekend. We are kind of tired of pie right now, and I'm a certified pie lover, of all kinds.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The calzones around here have sauce. That's one of the reasons I don't buy them. I had one and the sauce was too hot. It was very unpleasant and not as nice as pizza.

A pie is a single serving at my house! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

It is a great tip for normal folks. If I did it everyday would be pie day. I have found that the best thing for me is a single treat every month or so, usually away from home. Not the best option for everyone, but it works for me.

I freeze individual slices and it works well at turning every day into pie day... :LOL:

Takes 45 seconds in my microwave to thaw a piece of fruit pie. So I'm only 45 seconds from pie :ohmy:

Not all of us have that type of willpower when it comes to pie...like Aunt Bea said, a pie is a single serving...in our house it comes out to two servings.

I wish we could get decent blueberries over here. They are pushed here as a "super food" and very good for you. But they are packed in tiny 4 ounce punnets and costing about £2. (£1 = $1.50) They are also air-freighted half way round the world and chilled to within an inch of their lives. Result - they taste of absolutely nothing.

As for pies. In the Middle Ages the pastry was often only there as a lid to seal the pot of a stew which was going to cook for a long time in the embers of the fire and it was either discarded or given to the poor or the dogs.

In the Cornish tin mining areas the "Cornish pasty " (meat, onion, swede and potato in a folded over "D"-shaped pastry case sealed at the side -
Cornish Pasty – Historical Information – Cornish Pasty Association
). It is said that the pastry needed to be hard enough to stand up to being thrown down the mine shaft to the miner at lunch time! That story may be apocryphal or the result of some poor miner having a wife with little skill with pastry! In other areas, such as Northamptonshire, similar pasties were often very big with a savoury filling at one end and apple or other sweet filling in the other.

Strawberries, raspberries or blackberries go well with apples in a pie (but not at this time of year, obviously) and quinces if you grow them. My grandmother used to make a (usually Cheshire) cheese and apple pie but I never tasted it as I didn't like cheese as a child.

In the north of England 'tater pie is much loved, especially by the older generation and children. It had potatoes, meat and veg in it as well - the amount of meat varying according to what the housewife could afford on the day. Nowadays it's a favourite dish at fund-raising suppers at church or pubs or clubs and voluntary organisations

I've some pizza dough rising in the kitchen - would that count for Pie Day?

Sure. Pizza is Pie in Italian. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom