"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #41
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
Where's the step that says you get to lick the spoon !

Can you use PF's recipe to make lemon meringue pie? I was looking at pie recipes to compare if this makes enough, it does. But then the 2 recipes I looked said to add some corn starch ( to help it set up? )

Well, the recipe looks good , so if not a pie, then perhaps spoonfuls into individual tart shells would be perfect...
__________________

__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #42
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
I thought it was given, that you get to lick the spoon.

Refrigerated, you don't need cornstarch to make it set for a pie. I like to make tarts out of this with a sweet butter crust.

Sweet Butter Crust
2 tbs sugar
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
stir together well
cut in
1/2 cup cold butter
add
1/2 cup ice cold water
allow to rest for 30 min before rolling out.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #43
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
Also nice for a Victoria Slice!

victoria sponge cake with lemon curd
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #44
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
We had so much fun offering each other the spatula or beaters or spoons to Taste Test when we were baking stuff for Christmas last week. It is part of the baking process.

Thanks for adding the butter crust recipe too. I think I have this, but I will copy again.

I think tarts is the way to go here. Dx doesn't care for meringues.

Now of course, regarding your recipe, when she asks, how can I truthfully say with a straight face it only made enough for 2 very small tarts. Must use a slotted spoon, must use a slotted spoon with large holes.
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #45
Executive Chef
 
Whiskadoodle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Twin Cities Mn
Posts: 2,954
Yum, Aunt Bea. That looks good too.
__________________
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #46
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
We had so much fun offering each other the spatula or beaters or spoons to Taste Test when we were baking stuff for Christmas last week. It is part of the baking process.

Thanks for adding the butter crust recipe too. I think I have this, but I will copy again.

I think tarts is the way to go here. Dx doesn't care for meringues.

Now of course, regarding your recipe, when she asks, how can I truthfully say with a straight face it only made enough for 2 very small tarts. Must use a slotted spoon, must use a slotted spoon with large holes.
You only get to lick the spoon once...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:09 AM   #47
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Also nice for a Victoria Slice!

victoria sponge cake with lemon curd
Thanks belatedly, Aunt Bea - the photo on that link is so delicious-looking. Although just a plain old 'box' lemon cake is what I'm working with, my plan is to split it horizontally and spoon Princess Fi's excellent lemon curd between. Question: would freezing the individual extra pieces work? While I could eat the whole thing before it goes stale, I'm trying my best to whittle off a few pounds before Easter arrives.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #48
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Thanks belatedly, Aunt Bea - the photo on that link is so delicious-looking. Although just a plain old 'box' lemon cake is what I'm working with, my plan is to split it horizontally and spoon Princess Fi's excellent lemon curd between. Question: would freezing the individual extra pieces work? While I could eat the whole thing before it goes stale, I'm trying my best to whittle off a few pounds before Easter arrives.
Not sure!

The cake will be fine and I would think that the lemon curd would be ok if you ate the pieces while still cold or slightly frozen.

Time for some independent research in our tasting lab!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #49
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

Time for some independent research in our tasting lab!
Another of those dirty jobs that someone has to do. You get an 'Atta Girl!' for your willingness to experiment on the behalf of others. I'm touched.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:54 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Another of those dirty jobs that someone has to do. You get an 'Atta Girl!' for your willingness to experiment on the behalf of others. I'm touched.
I would volunteer, but I don't want to put the weight back on that I have recently lost. With this new figure, I might be able to catch me victim #3. I outlived two.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
butter, egg, lemon, recipe

Lemon Curd a la PF Lemon Curd Recipe: 3 large eggs 1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice) 1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar 4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes. Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week. Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml). 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.