Lemon Curd a la PF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought it was given, that you get to lick the spoon.:LOL:

Refrigerated, you don't need cornstarch to make it set for a pie. I like to make tarts out of this with a sweet butter crust.

Sweet Butter Crust
2 tbs sugar
2 1/2 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
stir together well
cut in
1/2 cup cold butter
add
1/2 cup ice cold water
allow to rest for 30 min before rolling out.

YUM!! :ohmy::yum:

I fear that the joy of licking the spoon is one that many young folks will never experience!

They will have to be satisfied with licking the inside of a double stuff Oreo!

I guess joy is where you find it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I used to be allowed to scrape the bowl after the cake mix had gone into the baking tin. I expect children are not allowed to do that these days due to the danger of food poisoning from the raw eggs in the cake mixture.

How kids miss out these days.

Returning to lemon curd - here's a recipe for lemon curd cookies

Mrs Darlington's | Recipes | Curd | Mrs darlingtons legendary lemon curd almond butter biscuits

"mrsdarlingtons.com" is a brand of commercial lemon curd but you'd be hard pressed to tell it from home made (and Mrs Darlington actually exists. She and her daughters run the company in Crewe in Cheshire - about 30 miles from where I live).

The cookies are divine. You could use your own home made lemon curd.

Last edited:
Returning to lemon curd - here's a recipe for lemon curd cookies

Mrs Darlington's | Recipes | Curd | Mrs darlingtons legendary lemon curd almond butter biscuits

"mrsdarlingtons.com" is a brand of commercial lemon curd but you'd be hard pressed to tell it from home made (and Mrs Darlington actually exists. She and her daughters run the company in Crewe in Cheshire - about 30 miles from where I live).

The cookies are divine. You could use your own home made lemon curd.

My oh my. Talk about a marriage made in Heaven. Thank you, MC.

I have had some wonderful lemon squares. They seem to be solidified lemon curd. I'm pretty sure there is no flour in them. They are usually served covered in powdered sugar. Does anyone have a recipe for that?

I have had some wonderful lemon squares. They seem to be solidified lemon curd. I'm pretty sure there is no flour in them. They are usually served covered in powdered sugar. Does anyone have a recipe for that?

Here's Alix's recipe. It does have a little flour in them but they are out of this world good

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks PF and Andy.

Is this what you are talking about TaxLady? They do have flour, though. They are really good but quite sweet.

That picture looks right.

The Best Lemon Bars Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Here's Alix's recipe. It does have a little flour in them but they are out of this world good
I think I like Alex's recipe better. It doesn't sound as sweet.

I forgot they had a bottom crust. I guess 1/4 cup/4 oz isn't a lot of flour for the lemon part and that is why they are still translucent.

I will give these a try when I have more spoons. I have had them at potlucks and had to make an effort not to be a pig. :pig:

Thanks PF and Andy.

I think I like Alex's recipe better. It doesn't sound as sweet.

I forgot they had a bottom crust. I guess 1/4 cup/4 oz isn't a lot of flour for the lemon part and that is why they are still translucent.

I will give these a try when I have more spoons. I have had them at potlucks and had to make an effort not to be a pig. :pig:

If we don't hear from you , we will know what you are doing. My problem with anything lemon is being Miss Piggy. There is no controlling me. If I don't have a spoon, knife or fork, I will use my fingers. :angel:

Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).

Will this make enough curd for one pie? I looked at the other recipe and THREE cups of sugar, holy cow!

Also, does this taste lemony or is it tart? I love tart and I can never find lemon curd in the stores tart enough for me.

rr In the two recipes I've just done, one used 1/2 cup lemon juice, the other 3/4 cup lemon juice. They were plenty tart! But taste is subjectable, you can only try for yourself.

Will this make enough curd for one pie? I looked at the other recipe and THREE cups of sugar, holy cow!

Also, does this taste lemony or is it tart? I love tart and I can never find lemon curd in the stores tart enough for me.

Not sure about if it's enough for one pie, makes 1 1/2 cups. Only ever just put it in a jar and eaten on buttered English Muffins or out of the pan. It is wonderfully tart and very lemony.

PF, this might be the right consistency for a filling I am making for a wedding cake. It will be four thin layers of lemon cake with two fillings being raspberry and the middle one lemon curd. My tart recipe thickens in the shell but becomes too thick to spread. If you spread it from a jar then it should be perfect! Thank you. Glad I logged in today.

Back
Top Bottom