Lemon Curd a la PF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessFiona60

Ogress Supreme
Moderator Emeritus
Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon (4 grams) finely shredded lemon zest
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.
Makes 1 1/2 cups (360 ml).

PrincessFiona60 said:
Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup (80 ml) fresh lemon juice (2-3 lemons) (do not use the bottled lemon juice)
4 tablespoons (56 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature and cut into small pieces

In a stainless steel bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water ,whisk together the eggs, sugar, and lemon juice until blended. Cook, stirring constantly (to prevent it from curdling), until the mixture becomes thick (like sour cream
or a hollandaise sauce) (160 degrees F or 71 degrees C).This will take approximately 10 minutes.

Remove from heat and immediately pour through a fine strainer to remove any lumps. Cut the butter into small pieces and whisk into the mixture until the butter has melted. Add the lemon zest and let cool. The lemon curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Cover immediately (so a skin doesn't form) and refrigerate for up to a week.

You realize I am currently licking my iPad screen, Princess.

Lemon curd rocks!

PrincessFiona60 said:
I have a limonata and eating some lemon sorbet...I have a huge lemon craving right now.:angel:

Okay, Princess, I can't stand it anymore. Sorbet. Perhaps with bottled juice. Tomorrow, lemon curd! To the moon, Alice!

Last edited:
Lemon Curd Recipe:
3 large eggs

I love you, Princess.

:)

I came within a hair of buying a little bitty jar of lemon curd yesterday at $2.59 on sale. Really glad I resisted the urge, so I can make PF's recipe instead. Now I gotta get a couple of lemons. Then some help -- if I were nice it would be to share the curd with; but no, I'm alone in the house and need someone to keep me from eating the whole bowlful at once.

tinlizzie said:
I came within a hair of buying a little bitty jar of lemon curd yesterday at $2.59 on sale. Really glad I resisted the urge, so I can make PF's recipe instead. Now I gotta get a couple of lemons. Then some help -- if I were nice it would be to share the curd with; but no, I'm alone in the house and need someone to keep me from eating the whole bowlful at once.

Pick me! Pick me!

I forgot to pick up lemons, but I have a nice juicy lime. Will try PF's recipe on a small scale. I have a feeling the curd will disappear with one slurp.

If I make lemon curd, then I have to make pastries using it... Oh I can't wait! Yummy! Today I am making pumpkin pie and chocolate pie, so lemon curd will have to wait for another time. Thanks PF! It sounds great!

If I make lemon curd, then I have to make pastries using it... Oh I can't wait! Yummy! Today I am making pumpkin pie and chocolate pie, so lemon curd will have to wait for another time. Thanks PF! It sounds great!

I have to get started on my pumpkin pie skills:ROFLMAO: I'm thinking pecan crust this year.

Oh my. OH MY! I made PF's recipe using one lime and one egg, with previously grated lemon rind. I had to rip myself away from the bowl! Dang this stuff's good! And strainer? We don't need no stinkin' strainer!

And now it's gone. :(

Last edited:
Oh my. OH MY! I made PF's recipe using one lime and one egg, with previously grated lemon rind. I had to rip myself away from the bowl! Dang this stuff's good! And strainer? We don't need no stinkin' strainer!

And now it's gone. :(

I'm telling you, this stuff is really good for your waistline...and it's addictive.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I'm telling you, this stuff is really good for your waistline...and it's addictive.

And cholesterol and blood pressure! I went back into the kitchen to have another spoonful, and DH had already cleaned out the ss bowl. Made my blood pressure rise.

I would bet it would be good with any citrus. I am considering ruby grapefruit.

Last edited:
And cholesterol and blood pressure! I went back into the kitchen to have another spoonful, and DH had already cleaned out the ss bowl. Made my blood pressure rise.

I would bet it would be good with any citrus. I am considering ruby grapefruit.

Yes, just be careful you don't get ANY pith in it, that makes it very bitter...almost ruined a batch of grapefruit. Kumquat is really good , too.

PrincessFiona60 said:
Yes, just be careful you don't get ANY pith in it, that makes it very bitter...almost ruined a batch of grapefruit. Kumquat is really good , too.

Fear not. The only pith would be me smacking DH's hand when he tried to get the remains. Would really pith me off.

This is better than a bottle, PF, and easily made in small quantities! Thanks!

Dawgluver said:
Fear not. The only pith would be me smacking DH's hand when he tried to get the remains. Would really pith me off.

This is better than a bottle, PF, and easily made in small quantities! Thanks!

Pith you off. LOL!!!

PrincessFiona60 said:
Both of you appear to be full of pith and vinegar!

Lol! Lime juice. Bet vinegar would make an icky curd. Ackk puhh!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom