"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Assistant Cook
Lemon Merignue Pie Help

So I recently made a lemon meringue pie, and while not a complete disaster, I'd quite like to know if anyone had any tips for making a great one. I didn't have any corn flour so the middle was a bit thin on the ground. I was also unhappy with the meringue on top, I felt the original quantities provided in the recipe weren't enough so i had to emergency make some more.

mayicook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Assistant Cook
Several years ago I worked with our local newspaper and gave them my recipe for meringue. It's the one I use for lemon meringue pie. It uses an extra egg white so that I can get mile high meringue on top. I didn't put in baking instructions since this was supposed to be a generic meringue recipe and shold be baked according to your recipe. Meringue instructions

You can't make a good one without using cornstarch. It won't set up properly. I like to put just a little meringue inside the lemon filling to lighten it up just a bit.

I put the meringue over hot filling so it bakes properly.

If you make it on a humid or rainy day, your pie will not set up properly. The meringue will get beads of moisture. I have not tried this, but some people told me that they sprinkle a little bread crumbs on top of the lemon mixture right before they put on the meringue. It's supposed to soak up the extra moisture. I might try using ground almonds instead.

Lemon meringue pie can be difficult to make, even for an experienced baker. But it's fabulous even when not perfect.
JanaAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

lemon, meringue, other, pastry, pie