Lemon Meringue Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookinBlondie

Senior Cook
I need to make a lemon meringue pie for my algebra 2 class on Monday, but I lost my recipe. Do you have a tried and true recipe that you would be willing to share? I've looked in the archives, and I couldn't find one, so I know this isn't a repeat thread.

Hope you can be of help. Thanks in advance!

KAY'S LEMON MERINGUE PIE

IN MICROWAVE BOWL:

MIX TOGETHER:

6 EGG YOLKS

2 CUPS SUGAR

1/2 CUP CORNSTARCH MIXED WITH 3 CUPS WATER

2/3 CUP LEMON JUICE

MICROWAVE UNTIL BUBBLY. STIRRING AFTER FIRST 6 MINUTES…THEN EVERY 3 MINUTES UNTIL BUBBLY.

POUR INTO COOKED PIE SHELL.

TOP WITH MERINGUE SEALING EDGES WELL.

BAKE UNTIL MERINGUE IS SLIGHTLY BROWNED.

This is for the pudding...did you need the crust and meringue recipes too?

If there was lemon meringue pie in algebra, maybe I wouldn't have hated that class so much!
Blondie, there's a recipe on the label of the Comstock lemon filling can, too.
B0005ZV1HG.01-A2BF95SJ3X97HC._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Alright! Both of these sounds wonderful but which is the most traditional way of making the filling? How will the condensed milk vs. the cornstarch affect the taste and consistency of the filling?

Dina

Dina, the traditional way is with the cornstarch. It does change the consistency. The no bake one is sort of creamier. Tasty, but less zesty in my opinion. Try the traditional one first. My recipe is similar, but not done in the microwave, done on the stove. I have found that adding some lemon zest to the pie filling once it is done cooking gives it a real zip. Just a tbsp or so. Good luck!

Thank you Alix. I will try the traditional cornstarch version first. That one seems to be the one I usually buy in the frozen section. Oops! :ohmy: I wasn't suppose to give that away. I can't wait to make it myself this time around.

Marmalady,
I love key lime pie too. I will most definitely make another pie with condensed milk to compare both. Thank you.

Dina

Alix said:
Dina, the traditional way is with the cornstarch. It does change the consistency. The no bake one is sort of creamier. Tasty, but less zesty in my opinion. Try the traditional one first. My recipe is similar, but not done in the microwave, done on the stove. I have found that adding some lemon zest to the pie filling once it is done cooking gives it a real zip. Just a tbsp or so. Good luck!

would you mind posting this? I am looking for a tried and true lemon meringue pie recipe. :)

I screwed up a lemon-merangue pie on mother's day, don't ask me...
So you really cheated that much in Algebra, huh? Just give them money, they'll be waaay less likely to squel for money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom