Lemon Meringue Pie Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a question for all of you experienced cooks. Everytime I make lemon meringue pie, I get liquid between the lemon and the meringue. Once it cools, this seems to disappear. Does this happen with everyone, or am I doing something wrong? I always let the lemon filling cool for 5 minutes before putting the meringue on top and I seal it to the crust. This is my favorite pie and I would love to solve this problem.

northerMIcook;
When I bake a lemon meringue pie (or mango merigue-o, a family fave) I always let the pie cool completely, refrigerate for 1/2 hour then I put the meringue on and stick it in the oven until the meringue browns. Thus far, no condensation issues.

Here are 2 mango recipes from the cookbook

Mango and Pepper Relish

I first developed this dish for my family about 15 years ago. Since that time I have seen similar dishes in restaurants all over the country. Most places refer to their similar creations as a salsa. I don’t know. In the South we make and eat a lot of relishes and this looks and feels like a relish to me. Whatever the proper name for it is, it is a wonderful counterpoint to spicy foods and smoked meats. Wonderful on a hot, humid summer evening.

SERVES 6 (OR 3 IF ONE IS ME)

2 Ripe Mangoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
1 Sweet Red Pepper cut into ½” chunks
1 Green Bell Pepper cut into ½” chunks
1 Large Sweet Onion (Vidalia or Texas Super Sweet, they are both terrific) cut as above 1 Large Jalapeno finely chopped (please remove all the seeds and the ribs; we aren’t after heat here, just flavor)
3 Tbsp. Chopped fresh Cilantro
2 cloves Garlic finely minced
2 Tbsp. Sugar
Juice from 1 lemon
2 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar

Place the onions and the Mangoes in a bowl and sprinkle the sugar over them. Allow to sit for 30 minutes. Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix very well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Serve

Mango Meringue-O

I will admit it. We are not really dessert people. Given our druthers, we would much rather have second helpings of the meal itself. Once in a while, however, the mood for a sweet ending overcomes us and we have to come up with something. My wife is the Baker in our organization and she gives me the techniques while I provide ideas. This is a fun way to cook together and I learn something every time. As I have stated before, we love Mangoes. It is due to this fact that this recipe was born. It is fantastic!

SERVES 6-8

KID FRIENDLY

3 cups Pureed Mangoes
3 tbsp. Corn Starch
Juice of ½ Lemon
2 egg yolks
1 recipe pie crust (use your own or the ready made in the dairy section of the grocery store…they aren’t bad!)
3 egg whites
½ cup Powdered Sugar
1/8 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1/8 tsp. Salt

In a stainless steel bowl, mix the mango puree, the lemon juice, egg yolks, salt and cornstarch. Mix well using a balloon whisk. Set the bowl on top of a saucepan containing about 2 inches of water that has just reached the simmering stage on medium heat. Stir and cook this mixture for about 12 minutes or until it becomes thick and smooth. Pour this mixture into a pre-baked deep-dish pie shell. In a chilled stainless steel (or copper if you have one) bowl place the egg whites, the powdered sugar and the Cream of Tartar. Beat with an electric mixer until it forms very stiff peaks. Place this on top of the Mango mixture. Place it in a preheated 350-degree oven until the meringue browns just a bit. Allow to cool completely and put in the refrigerator to set up about 2-3 hours. Serve.

Back
Top Bottom