Lemon Meringue Pie To Die For (then you can't eat it!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayneT

Washing Up
LemonMeringueBanner.gif

Waynesmeringuepie.jpg

Pastry:

2 cups Plain (all purpose)flour
pinch Salt
1 tabsp Icing sugar
185g Butter
1 tabsp Lemon juice
1-2 tabsp Water

Filling:

4 tabsp Plain (all purpose) flour
4 tabsp Cornflour
2 tsp Grated lemon rind
3/4 cup Lemon juice
1 cup Sugar
1 1/4 cups Water
90g (3 3/4oz) Butter
4 Egg yolks

Meringue:

4 Egg whites
pinch Salt
3/4 cup castor sugar

1.Sift flour, salt and icing sugar into basin: chop butter roughly and add to dry ingredients. Rub in until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add lemon juice and enough water to make a stiff dough. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Roll pastry on lightly floured surface to fit 23cm (9 inch) pie plate. Use rolling pin to lift pastry onto pie plate.

2.Trim and decorate edges. Prick base and sides of pastry with a fork. Bake 220-230° oven (210°C in my oven) 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow to cool

3.Combine sifted flours, lemon rind, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan. Add water, blend until smooth, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens: NB: The mixture must boil. Reduce heat, stir a further two minutes. Remove from heat, stir in butter and lightly beaten egg yolks, stir until butter has melted.

4. Spread cold lemon filling evenly into pastry case. Combine egg-whites, water and saltin mixer and beat on high speed until small peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beat well until sugar dissolves. Spoon on top of lemon filling, spreading meringue to edges of pie to seal; peak meringue decoratively with a knife. Bake 190°C/375°F 5-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool, then refrigerate. ENJOY!

Oh that looks so nice! I haven't had lemon meringue pie for ages, I miss my mum making it (meringues don't like me for some reason!)

Shame, shame on you WayneT! There you go posting one of my absolute, knock-people-over-to-get-to-it favorite pies....

Back
Top Bottom