Lemon Pie...or Tart???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I do the exact opposite, not necessarily on purpose thou. I will make the pie a couple of days in advance. The day of serving I whip the meringue, spread it and into the oven. Never had a problem.

OK, this might have been 40 years ago, but that is the way me mum always did it. We never baked the lemon portion + meringue altogether at the start. :chef:

I do the exact opposite, not necessarily on purpose thou. I will make the pie a couple of days in advance. The day of serving I whip the meringue, spread it and into the oven. Never had a problem.

My great aunt, the undisputed queen of lemon meringue pie, did this too. The meringue was twice as high as the pie.

Last edited:
When I make a lemon meringue pie, I have the meringue whipped and ready then pour the hot lemon filling into the crust and immediately top it with the meringue. Then right into the oven to cook and brown the meringue.

This makes complete sense, and was something I totally didn't do. Ah well lessons learned.

I was somehow thinking that the meringue and the filling were one entity, when they are rightfully separate, so you can see where there might have been trouble.

Back
Top Bottom