Lemon Pie...or Tart???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi, kids! All ready for Thanksgiving? :yum:

First of all, I am not an experienced baker of desserts.

I want to make lemon pie, but then I see that there's also something called "Lemon Tart", which certainly looks the same to me. You put your home made mixture into a prebaked crust and bake and there you go.

So, what is the diff? Also, if I don't have enough lemon juice, would it do to substitute some fresh orange juice? I'm 15 miles from town and can't buy any lemons.

Many thanks! :chef:

A lemon pie/tart (different baking dish) is made with lemon juice and zest. You need the zest to give it the special lemony tartness. You could make it with a combination of lemon and orange but you still need either lemon or orange zest.

Thanks, Andy. The recipe for lemon tart that I have doesn't mention a different kind of dish. I guess you mean the fluted kind? Anyway, I'm glad you think it's okay to use some orange juice + rind as well as the lemon.

A tart and with a fluted edge and removable bottom is for tarts. If you use the same crust and filling in a pie plate, it's a pie. Actually, a tart is just a different shaped pie.

Tarts are typically shallower than pies - a half to one inch deep vs. two to three inches deep.

Are you sure? I am not much of a baker, but all my pyrex pie plates are shallow but my one fluted tart tin with removable bottom (which I have never used - I just found it at the back of the drawer) is about 2-3 inches deep.

Also, while I have you folks here - how do you insert the crust into a deep tart cooking dish if you want to make the kind of crust that you don't roll out, but you just press it in? I can't see how that would work with a fluted dish.

This is what I have:

http://www.divertimenti.co.uk/media...9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/6/4/6468.jpg

Sorry to trouble you with all my questions. :ohmy:

Yes. That's why I said "typically" ;) There are always exceptions, but in general, tarts are more shallow and usually have a single crust. They also usually have sloped sides. Pies are generally deeper, with straight sides, and can have a single or double crust.

There are lots of sources. Here's one: http://m.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-difference-between-pies-and-tarts.htm

GG, good link but I think you mixed your "sides" ;)

Tart pans do have slightly sloped side but not usually as sloped as a pie. The reason being is that (as GG's link says) pies are served in the pan baked.

Tarts are removed from baking tins. This shallower and more straight sided style makes it easier to serve.

What they don't mention is that tarts are also a drier filling, hence no pan necessary. Pies sometimes can be gooey as in a cherry/fruit pie.

But you can call your creation anything you'd like! :LOL: you are the creator! (people might not know what you are talking about thou)

Thanks v. much to all of you with your input on my question. Now to get going! A lemon tart is what I want to make.

Last edited:

I want to make lemon pie, but then I see that there's also something called "Lemon Tart", which certainly looks the same to me. You put your home made mixture into a prebaked crust and bake and there you go.

So, what is the diff? Also, if I don't have enough lemon juice, would it do to substitute some fresh orange juice? I'm 15 miles from town and can't buy any lemons.

In my kitchen, for what it's worth (you can please yourselves ;)), a pie has a pastry lid (but may not have a pastry bottom) and a tart is open. Hence apple pie and lemon meringue tart.

You may use what you like. We won't tell. Orange will probably be sweeter than lemon so you might feel you need to reduce the sugar slightly and the orange will yield more juice than a lemon if it's bigger.

Ignore all those foodies on TV who insist that you use 3/8th of a teaspoon of this and thirty and a half grains of that. If it works out and you like the taste don't worry. (Of course, If I say you have to use 3/8th of a teaspoon of this and thirty and a half grains of that I MEAN IT :LOL::LOL::LOL:)

In my kitchen, for what it's worth (you can please yourselves ;)), a pie has a pastry lid (but may not have a pastry bottom) and a tart is open. Hence apple pie and lemon meringue tart.

You may use what you like. We won't tell. Orange will probably be sweeter than lemon so you might feel you need to reduce the sugar slightly and the orange will yield more juice than a lemon if it's bigger.

Ignore all those foodies on TV who insist that you use 3/8th of a teaspoon of this and thirty and a half grains of that. If it works out and you like the taste don't worry. (Of course, If I say you have to use 3/8th of a teaspoon of this and thirty and a half grains of that I MEAN IT :LOL::LOL::LOL:)

Seriously though, it's true that practice makes perfect. We were all inexperienced bakers once. Have fun - that's what matters.

Last edited:
Thanx, Mad Cook for your encouragement. I like your attitude.

I am more or less of a good cook, but baking - I panic. That's why I'm here begging for my betters' advice.

So to make a long story short, a lemon tart would have a sweetish crust, is that correct. You add sugar & egg, but with lemon pie, you don't. I don't get it.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Laura Calder, a Canadian chef of note, has two types of crusts she makes. One is for free style, not in a pan, galette crust. The other for using in a tart/pie - some sort of pan. With both of these she has a further style - one for savoury and the other for sweet. She adds sugar and vanilla for the sweet tarts.

A lot of recipes are for pie crusts that can be used in multiple ways, so they are "all-purpose". Often recipes don't include the crust, perhaps assuming you are using store bought or have your own special recipe. Lately I've been noticing recipes, that are posted with the crusts, have something special added to enhance the total -- such as an herb like rosemary or pepper for a savoury and extra sugar for a sweet.

Thanks so much for all this added info!

You mentioned galettes. Honestly, I could never see the point of such an unattractive form of pie. I wonder what its origins were - no pie plate or tart tin, so, hey, let's just wrap the edges over the top. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes, but I was aghast when I first saw a galette and my feelings have not changed. LOL!

http://www.cakenknife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Peach-and-Blueberry-Galette-9-620x861.jpg

Thanks so much for all this added info!

You mentioned galettes. Honestly, I could never see the point of such an unattractive form of pie. I wonder what its origins were - no pie plate or tart tin, so, hey, let's just wrap the edges over the top. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I hope I haven't stepped on anyone's toes, but I was aghast when I first saw a galette and my feelings have not changed. LOL!

http://www.cakenknife.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Peach-and-Blueberry-Galette-9-620x861.jpg

Pie-like foods have been around for millennia - much longer than pie or tart pans have. I like galettes because they're so rustic, it's okay if they don't look perfect. They're not supposed to! :LOL: But they taste just as good :yum:

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpies.html

No worries, Daizymae! You are not stepping on anyone's toes, if someone's toes get bruised I suggest they find some steel toed boots. :ROFLMAO:

That's what makes this forum so great and certainly interesting. We all have different tastes - likes - dislikes - makes the world go round!

LOL - I personally love galettes - either savoury or sweet. hmmm, I love pies too, quiches, tarts, oh well... love'm ALL! :pig:

In the UK there are both pies and tarts. A jam tart has no lid, whilst an apple tart does, if it's small. If it's large, it's a pie. A mince pie has a lid, but it's usually small. A steak and kidney pie can have a bottom and a top, or just a top. A Bakewell tart (from Bakewell in Derbyshire) has one type of bottom (shortcrust pastry) and another type of top (almond sponge) and is still a tart.
Then there are raised pies, which nearly all, with some exceptions, have a top and a bottom ( the bottom being the almost flour and water 'bowl' and the top being the edible pastry lid).

In the US there may be some similarities between tarts and pies, but I reckon that very often what you would consider a pie we would consider a tart -- maybe. Sometimes - and here I'm thinking of New York Cheesecake - the description is totally different. They don't have that in Italy. What a loss to their culinary repertoire, don't you think? I reckon that the next time I visit friends, I'll take a cheesecake, and they'll see what they're missing!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

This is the definition I go by:

A pie must have at least one crust and a filling. The crust can be on top or on the bottom or both. The crust does not have to be a pastry. e.g. cookie crumbs or graham cracked crusts for certain cream or custard pies or mashed potatoes for shepherds or cottage pies.

Following this definition, cheesecake is a custard pie and Boston Cream Pie is a cake.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all. I still haven't made my dam lemon tart. I had run out of flour, not just lemons, so I went to the city today to shop for supplies! So tomorrow is the big day.

The crust can be on top or on the bottom or both.

I've never made a pie with no bottom crust. Even a raw fresh strawberry/agar gelatin pie must have a bottom crust for me. The point of a bottom crust may be to hold things in place, like blueberry pie or custard pie, but I think that there should be a crust even if it isn't structurally needed. IMO of course.

Back
Top Bottom