Looking for a good pie dough recipe...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yakuta said:
Here is one I have used with success and no one knows what's in it. It turns out flaky and delicious.

1 pack of cream cheese (8 oz)
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 3/4 cups of flour

on the top,

Never heard of using cream cheese.. do you use it for every type of pie.. fruit and custards? sounds interesting.

Sorry I didn't answer you sooner. When I found out you had made this post I hurried back from Arcturus just to get a copy and leave you a reply of thanks. Sorry can't hang around. The next shuttle to Arcturus leaves at midnight and if I'm not on it my wife will be upset. I saw that in the alternative reality, but I make it on time, she's happy.

We always stir clockwise. Tastes better too. :rolleyes:

Auntie Do's recipe looks very interesting. Have to try it out. Did you say what size you take to roll out? Weight or diameter, 90 g (3 oz I guess) or 80 mm (about 3 inch ball)?

Ciao

Goodweed of the North said:
" the bran were washed away from the gluten in the water. Then, pour off the starch-water and the bran through a sieve. This would capture the bran which cold then pe spread on parchement paper and dried in the oven to make bran flakes...

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I always wanted to figure out how to recuperate the bran, gracefully and productively. I did it some times but could never find a technique that I found to be efficient enough.

Take care

You need to go to kingarthur.com and get their special mellow pastry blend flour. I own a dessert catering business, and that is the only flour I use for all of our pie crusts. they come wonderfully tender.

Hi, I see this is an older thread, and I don't know if this is going to work or not, but if you are still interested in pie dough recipes, I have one that my family thinks is the best:)

BrianMorin said:
I agree with you on the Crisco and I suppose that we have to just do a bit of a balancing act if we want to eat well and have our desert, so to speak. :)
Yep everything in moderation. I agree with Alix, lard is the best for making pastry. Butter adds some flavour, but in my opinion, it's not worth the trade off for flakiness.:chef:

BrianMorin said:
Anyway, I agree with you on the Crisco and I suppose that we have to just do a bit of a balancing act if we want to eat well and have our desert, so to speak. :)
Yep, everything in moderation. I agree with Alix, that lard is the best for pastry. Butter does add some flavour, shortening (Crisco) adds nothing except less of the "bad" colesterol, but the trade off is not worth the difference in the flakiness of the crust that you get with lard.:chef:

Miandoria said:
Hi, I see this is an older thread, and I don't know if this is going to work or not, but if you are still interested in pie dough recipes, I have one that my family thinks is the best:)

Sure, I'd love to see your recipe. Thanks for offering.

Bri

exactly150 said:
You need to go to kingarthur.com and get their special mellow pastry blend flour. I own a dessert catering business, and that is the only flour I use for all of our pie crusts. they come wonderfully tender.

I'm in the habit of grinding my own flour. I know that I have lots of problems with recipes due to this fact, but that's life. Once I rework, just about every recipe I see with flour in it, then I have a recipe for life - this includes French croissant, I was told it couldn't be done. It has been well worth it, in my esteem there is nothing that tastes better than fresh ground flour, it just takes more time and patients, mainly because there are not recipies out there for home ground flour.

I know of King Aurthers, I have had there catalogue many years ago. They have very nice products...

Thanks

DaCook said:
shortening (Crisco) adds nothing except less of the "bad" colesterol, but the trade off is not worth the difference in the flakiness of the crust that you get with lard.:chef:

DaCook, you should try Butter Flavored Crisco. That's what I use, and it not only adds flavor, but also a lovely golden color to the piecrust. I think you'll like it. It also makes flakier piecrust than butter.
Michael can tell you why...he's the scientist here.

Of course lard is wonderful...pork fat rules. I just can't handle all that saturated fat.

Last edited:
My pie dough tears when i try to lift it up. I was thinking the dough wasn't strong enough. But is there any way to fix this?

I used

2 C. All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 sticks butter
3 tbsp water (but this tends to vary)

I had the same problem for years. I found that if I added 2 extra tbs. of ice-water to the dough, it held together wonderfully well without affecting the finished product. Another trick is to laye the pie-pan, inverted, onto the pie crust. Using the pan as a guide, cut a circle from the dough that is one and one/half inch larger that the pan. By removing the iregularities and working with a smooth edge, you minimize weak points that can start from the dough edge and cause a tear.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I've had consistently good results with the Flaky Pastry Dough from the 1997 edition of Joy of Cooking, page 859. I mention the edition because this particular recipe is not in the earlier editions of Joy.

The recipe includes a couple of variations, but the one I like uses 2.5 cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 cup of shortening, 8 ounces (1 stick) of butter, 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon ice water, plus 1 to 2 additional tablespoons of ice water if needed. The book includes very specific instructions, which any newbie -- or someone who makes pie once or twice per year -- can follow.

Constance said:
Michael can tell you why...he's the scientist here.

I hope you get this Micheal. What, may I ask is the make-up of crisco? The yellow colouring intrigues me. Is it plant based, do you know? I know that in cheese they use Annatto cheese colourant which is plant based.

Constance said:
Of course lard is wonderful...pork fat rules. I just can't handle all that saturated fat.

Who can take the saturated fats, unless you consume enough of the good unsaturated fatty acid, I believe is the way it goes. My wife really knows that kind of thing... She's not here right now.... But doesn't it do great things for food!!!

Take care :-p

Crisco is hydrogenated vegetable oil - shortening. If it's yellow, it's probably butter flavored Crisco.

Back
Top Bottom