Looking for an easy peach pie recipe please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovetobake

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a peach pie recipe, no sour cream, no cream cheese, just a simple way to make peach pie.

A couple weeks ago, I had some peaches and wasn't going to use them in time so I cut them up and froze them with a sugar syrup and put lemon juice on them so they wouldn't turn brown. I'm going to buy more peaches, but when I use the frozen ones, should they be thawed and drained for the pie?

As for the crust, when I have a frozen pie, I butter the top and sprinkle with sugar before putting it in the oven to warm it up, how can I make the crust like this after making the pie?

I can't talk to the peaches, never made a peach pie, but for the crust.. when I make my pies I brush the top crust with milk then sprinkle with sugar.

OK, I've never heard of a peach pie recipe without a custardy type base so I looked one up. There is one here. Now from my own brain, I would drain the peaches well, toss them with some flour and maybe just a bit of sugar and place them in a pie shell thats been baked a little. I'd top with a crumble type crust myself. Bake about 45 minutes at 350. If you are going to put a pie shell on top, I would just brush with milk about 15 minutes before you remove it from the oven to cool.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. I love experiments.

Butter & milk: CHECK! Thanks DaveSoMD :)

Alix
: the recipe you linked, will unfortunately have to wait until I get a food processor :(. I've never tasted any custard in any of the peach pies I've had, are they normally made with custard? I just taste peaches and the thick peach "goo" stuff/juice(?) (not in a bad way lol) and then the crust. I like my crust sweet so that's why I asked about the sugar. Ohh this will be a fun experiment! :LOL: Will have pictures to share.

Some that I have found are:
Single Crust Peach Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
-not sure what "mix until mealy" means and not sure where the "crumb mixture" is supposed to come in from the looks of the ingredients

Fresh Peach Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
-sounds easy enough, but orange juice in peach pie?

Peach Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
-this one has a lattice top, but not sure what crumb stage means

Last edited:
Butter & milk: CHECK! Thanks DaveSoMD :)

Some that I have found are:
Single Crust Peach Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
-not sure what "mix until mealy" means and not sure where the "crumb mixture" is supposed to come in from the looks of the ingredients

Fresh Peach Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
-sounds easy enough, but orange juice in peach pie?

Peach Pie Recipe - Allrecipes.com
-this one has a lattice top, but not sure what crumb stage means

Milk and sugar on the crust, not butter. :)

Mealy - usaually like cornmeal, but here I'd say till well combined, maybe like corn bread batter.

Sure, the OJ would add citric acid and add a bit of depth of flavor.

Like you are making a crumb topping. That's what it should be like.

Hope this helps.

lovetobake, food processor? Because of the almonds you mean? I think you can actually buy ground almonds if that is the issue.

The peach pie you are describing sounds delicious! I think I'd like that better than the ones I've had that have the creamy stuff or custard in them.

Do you make other types of pies? It seems to me that the translation should be fairly simple. Just remember that peaches are pretty juicy so up whatever thickening agent is in your pie filling. I'd likely do about 3-4 cups of diced peaches and about 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup-ish on the flour. I'm sure a regular two crust pie shell would work but your bottom might get sogged out. If you blind bake it a bit before putting the filling in and then brush with some egg it will 'seal' the crust a bit so it won't get as soggy.

Please take some pictures to show us this beauty!

Peach Pie
adapted for use of your frozen peaches

4 cups sliced peaches, well drained
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon butter
Pastry for Double Crust pie

In bowl, sprinkle drained peaches with lemon juice. Mix together sugar, flour and nutmeg, sprinkle over peaches, toss to cover each piece. Pour into bottom crust, dot all over with butter. Cover with second crust, seal and flute edges, slash top to vent. Cover edge of pie with foil. Bake @ 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20-25 minutes until crust is golden.

Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens.

With the fruit being frozen, you might be better off making a cobbler or a crisp.
And peaches lend themselves so nicely to cobblers!

splash lemon
brown sugar
cinnamon and/or nutmeg
uncooked plain tapioca

thats what my aunt does for filling

Last edited:
Milk and sugar on the crust, not butter. :)

Mealy - usaually like cornmeal, but here I'd say till well combined, maybe like corn bread batter.

Sure, the OJ would add citric acid and add a bit of depth of flavor.

Like you are making a crumb topping. That's what it should be like.

Hope this helps.

I've used butter on frozen pies and it sorta worked lol but now that I have the better combo no more butter! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the clarification on my confusion! :)

lovetobake, food processor? Because of the almonds you mean? I think you can actually buy ground almonds if that is the issue.

The peach pie you are describing sounds delicious! I think I'd like that better than the ones I've had that have the creamy stuff or custard in them.

Do you make other types of pies? It seems to me that the translation should be fairly simple. Just remember that peaches are pretty juicy so up whatever thickening agent is in your pie filling. I'd likely do about 3-4 cups of diced peaches and about 1/2 cup sugar and 1 cup-ish on the flour. I'm sure a regular two crust pie shell would work but your bottom might get sogged out. If you blind bake it a bit before putting the filling in and then brush with some egg it will 'seal' the crust a bit so it won't get as soggy.

Please take some pictures to show us this beauty!

Shows you how much I have looked for ground almonds in the bulk section haha so nevermind on the food processor then!

And actually, I have never made any pies before, only cakes, brownies and squares. So this will be a first time adventure/experiment haha.

With the fruit being frozen, you might be better off making a cobbler or a crisp.
And peaches lend themselves so nicely to cobblers!

If I can find self-rising flour I might be tempted to do that instead and just buy some fresh peaches for a pie. The recipe I found for peach cobbler doesn't call for oatmeal, but self-rising flour is called for which is kinda weird but will give it a try! Looks good: Peach Cobbler Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

splash lemon
brown sugar
cinnamon and/or nutmeg
uncooked plain tapioca

thats what my aunt does for filling

What does the tapioca do for the filling? I don't think I've ever liked tapioca, will that matter?

Thanks everyone! Fingers crossed for me :mrgreen:

The tapioca acts as a thickener for the juices, same a the flour will or even corn starch.

The fact that you mentioned no sour cream nor cream cheese suggests that you want a healthy dessert, so let's start with the pie crust:
No-Roll Pie Crust

Not quite as flaky as the traditional pie crusts.

Ingredients:
½
Whole wheat flour
½ cup
White flour
¼
Cup corn oil
TBSP buttermilk or natural yogurt

Directions:
Combine ingredients in a bowl.
Toss with a fork until thoroughly combine, then press on sides and bottom of an 8.5 inch pie plate. Bake as with a regular pie crust. Let it cool.
Soak 1-1/2 envelope of unflavoured gelatine in some fruit juice (the juice produced by the frozen peaches, if any) and warm to melt. Purée 2 cups of thawed peaches and mix with 1/2 cup of peach yogurt and gelatine. Fill crust and refrigerate until set.

Last edited:
Tapioca is a thickening agent.
I have never used self rising flour for a cobbler.
Let me know how it all works out :)

The fact that you mentioned no sour cream nor cream cheese suggests that you want a healthy dessert, so let's start with the pie crust:
No-Roll Pie Crust

Not quite as flaky as the traditional pie crusts.

Ingredients:
½
Whole wheat flour
½ cup
White flour
¼
Cup corn oil
TBSP buttermilk or natural yogurt

Directions:
Combine ingredients in a bowl.
Toss with a fork until thoroughly combine, then press on sides and bottom of an 8.5 inch pie plate. Bake as with a regular pie crust. Let it cool.
Soak 1-1/2 envelope of unflavoured gelatine in some fruit juice (the juice produced by the frozen peaches, if any) and warm to melt. Purée 2 cups of thawed peaches and mix with 1/2 cup of peach yogurt and gelatine. Fill crust and refrigerate until set.

Since I don't have the counter space for rolling dough, I bought a Tenderflake 9" pie crust, I can use this right? I was able to find the gelatine! I can't purée any peaches though since I don't have a food processor. If I just mixed the peaches with the gelatine and juice from frozen peaches (which is a combo of lemon juice, peaches, and sugar syrup) would it taste good? I'm just trying to recreate a peach pie that has crust, peaches, and peach clear gelatine stuff. Sorry I'm so difficult :wacko: I just don't wanna screw up my first pie lol :angel:

Crush the peaches with your hands as much as you can. Soak the gelatin with the juice that comes out of the peaches. (Lemon juice may prevent the gelatin from setting.) Warm gelatin until melted and add to peach purée. If the peaches are ripe and sweet you don't need to add any sugars. It depends on your taste buds.

Last edited:
Sorry I forgot to mention, they were frozen for about a month and then when I had fresh peaches to peel and slice (cuz I didn't have enough to make a whole pie), I defrosted them and then added the new peach slices to the bag and now they have been in the fridge since Sunday/Saturday.

When I ask my question, you'll understand why I don't do a lot of baking.

Why couldn't you make a peach pie as you would make an apple pie except with peaches?

Back
Top Bottom