Lucy's Chunkalicious Apple Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i promised goodweed (hey, where's my old buddy been?) that the next time my wife, lucy, made one of her very chunky, delicious apple pies, i would get the recipe for him.

we made a few pies for friends and family for thanksgiving, so i was able to measure things to approximate a recipe, and ask her for tips. so her it is: (i'll add pictures on saturday)

lucy's chunkalicious apple pie

ingredients:

2 pie crusts
3 rome, 3 gala, 3 cortland apples
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsps all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsps cinnamon
1 pinch of salt
juice of 1/4 of a lemon
2 tbsps butter
optional: 1/4 cup reconstituted raisins (place raisins in boiling water for a few minutes, until they get puffy, then drain and let cool.)

directions:

pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.

peel the apples, then core and slice into 8 sections. it is very important to make each slice equal in size, so we use a corer/divider tool to make things easier. place apple sections into a large bowl. add the lemon juice to moisten the apples.

combine the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt, and pour over the apples, tossing them to coat. if you add the raisins, reduce the amount of cinnamon by 1/4 tsp.

in a 9 1/2 inch glass (lucy insists on glass) pie plate, lay down the first pie crust, making sure there are no holes or splits. we almost always the pillsbury 9" brand of pre-made crusts.

dump the coated apples into a mound in the crust, pressing them down a bit. it should look over full, but that's ok. it'll sink as it bakes.

dot the top all around with small chunks of butter.

next, carefully lay the second crust over top, folding the edges over the bottom crust, very lightly crimping them with your fingers. do not over crimp.

cut a 1/2 inch cross in the center of the top crust, then 4 more 1/2 inch cuts radiating out from the center half way out to the edge.

place the pie in the oven, and a cookie sheet on the shelf below to catch any drippings. there shouldn't be any if you did this right, and the apples weren't too watery. bake for 20 minutes at 425.

remove pie from oven, and reduce heat to 375. cover the edges around the pie with about an inch or so of crushed up aluminum foil (keeps the edge of the crust from burning) and place back in the oven for another 20 minutes.

test by putting a knife point down into the slit in the center. if it's done, it should feel soft with just a little resistance.

let pie rest at least 2 hours, so the juices congeal. serve with vanilla ice cream.

:chef:

ok, goodweed ol' buddy, there it is. i hope this helps you finally make your perfect pie.

Back
Top Bottom