Making Cannoli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherry2000

Assistant Cook
I am having an Italian-themed dinner party this weekend, and I plan to make cannoli for dessert.

I plan to serve buffet style, and would like to be able to have them filled and ready in advance.

All of the recipes I see say not to fill them until ready to eat, but I have seen them before in bakeries and such all filled and ready to go and they aren't soggy when you eat them.

Any suggestions on how to do this? Thanks!

Hey i'm kinda looking to do the same thing, for a christmas gift this year, but am running into the same problem
i know you did this in june but i wanted to know if it worked out for you

thanks!!

They are very easy to fill so I would suggest doing it right before serving if possible...but if you can't you can always fill them early. The dough on Canoli's are pretty hard and probably do not give into moisture very easy...nevertheless they will still get slightly soggy...but it might not even be noticeable...What is your filling going to consist of? because that can make a big difference...

Robert
Chocolate

Make the cannoli the day before you fill. Fill a few hours before serving.
Ricotta and sugar is the filling I use. And it needs to be refrigerated. I think
refrigeration causes the soggy cannoli. In the shops I don't think they are sitting there overnight. The are brought out. Sold. And more are set out.

Actually, my filling turned out too runny, so I ended up improvising.

I spooned it over slices of pound cake, added some whipped cream, and sprinkled it with chopped pistachios and mini chocolate chips.

Not what I intended, but everyone loved it and a couple of people asked me for the recipe. LOL!

Hey that what defines great chefs and cooks....IMPROV! It's not only comedians that use it...good job stayin on your toes and not getting flustered....

Robert
Chocolate

hey thanks a lot

Hey thanks a lot for all of the advice everyone, i have to run to the restaurant depot with my boss today so i will see how that goes. I dunno i don't really have the time to make the shells though because of finals and all but i think if i buy the shell pre done and just make my own filling it would look ok, any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:

Cherry 2000, You improvised WELL. This is my recipe for filling:
Cannoli Filling
3 cups ricotta
1 cup sugar(or less if prefer)
Mix well
add 2 tsp. of your favorite extract

ok i heard a couple of things, one i should use powedered sugar because the granulated sugar makes it grainy, i need to dry out the riccotta through a cheese cloth in advance, um... and now actually i changed my mind and i think i'ma go ahead and make the shells but anyway give me your thuoghts,

p.s do you thing almond lace would make a good shell for some of them, i might just borrow some of the stuff the pastry kids use in my school? haha

There is extra fine grandulated sugar. I use the ricotta (best quality you can get) and MIX. BEAT, BEAT, with a mixer. Place the ricotta in your mixing bowl and start adding the extra fine grandulated sugar ...(add sugar slowly )beat...sugar...beat. A slow process.

The almond lace...your joke....YES? Shells are not difficult to make ..just very time consuming.

Back
Top Bottom