"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Making puff pastry

I'm making puff pastry (again), I've made it before and it's a fun day. It's been years though. I'm going to freeze most of it as it makes over 5 lbs of puff pastry. I'm half way through the refrigerate and fold this way or that directions.

Here's the recipe I'm using: http://www.manusmenu.com/home-made-puff-pastry

I was doing some reading on the puff pastries, pepperridge farms is made with all or some shortening and lard and $5/lb, while dufours is made with butter and is about $12/lb. (from serious eats) I'm making mine with butter.

I have my eye on this recipe that needs puff pastry: Home Cooking In Montana: Michel Richard's "Egg" Pastry...or Apricot Puff Pastry Tart

Well, that is just cute as heck and a half and my DH loves apricots, so, I must make these! Could you hold yourself back from making or trying one of these? I couldn't.

This puff pastry, is different than what I've made before. In the past I just bashed the butter flat and made it fit the dough, then refrigerate fold, repeat, repeat, repeat. This one has some flour added to the butter part but overall, the recipe is about half butter and half dough. I'm going to end with 3x4x3x4 layers, 144 layers.

I'll let you know how it all turns out, foodies.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Master Chef

Can't wait to see finished.

Doesn't look like a difficult job but lots of time.

msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Master Chef

wait, you are actually making puff pastry dough? Wow, kudos to you. Certain things I just refuse to make. They are just so much easier to be bought. Puff pastry dough is just too time consuming to me.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Master Chef

Yum!

You are a true hero to make homemade puff pastry!!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

That apricot tart looks amazing! Can't wait to hear how it comes out
Old 05-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Making puff pastry

Mmm. Would love to have a bite of that tart, bliss. And holy buckets, 5 lbs, that's a lot of puff pastry! You busy girl, you!
Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Ha hahahaha...the tart hero, ha ha.
Well, we tested some cheese and bacon on two pieces of puffed pastry, just to see how it does and it was great, flaky like a croissant and puffed nicely. Tomorrow morning, I'll make the apricot things for DH, and yes I'll take pictures even if they don't look perfect. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I'm going to end with 3x4x3x4 layers, 144 layers.
I salute you! Ain't no way I'm ever going to do that.

CD
Old 05-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

It's not that hard to make really. A lot depends on the temperature in the house. The butter needs to stay solid and not melt.

If the recipe says:
Make dough, pound butter, assemble and refrigerate for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours, well, you have to do that part. Next time I'd make the dough and pound out the butter, and assemble the night before.

If you have to roll it out (and you do this 4 times), fold it, and the refrigerate it each time for 1 to 1 and1/2 hours, it will take a long time. (Refrigeration time alone could be 5-7.5 hours.)

On a hot day 80 degrees F, like today, you have a short time window to roll it out of about 10 to 15 minutes before it softens too much. On a cold day you have to have muscles, big arm muscles because it is like rolling out a rock.

The best house temperature would be around 60-65 degrees where the butter won't melt. You can shorten the refrigeration time if your house is at this temperature.

Some recipes will let you roll it out, fold it, and roll it out and fold it, before you need to refrigerate it again. You could cut out half your time or more by doing it on a cool day, 60-65 degrees F.

The reason I made the big batch was because if I was going to take up the day doing it, I might as well have enough for a few extra treats.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #10
Executive Chef

We have nonstop thunder and lightning tonight, we are under a tornado watch, so that nesting instinct kicked in and I made the pastry cream. It's cooling. I drained the canned apricots, my goodness those things are little, not more than an inch across. I boiled down the syrup from the apricots with a little sugar, that is cooling. Everything is ready for tomorrow. Though, we are having bad weather, what could happen? Maybe I shouldn't ask what can happen. Thank God for friends and good food.

Tags
butter, flour, other, pastry, salt, water