"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-23-2009, 02:48 AM   #21
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillbert View Post
it's a long story . . .

but in short, Libby pumpkin pie filling is not made from "pumpkin"

almost.

technically what pipples call "pumpkin" is a squash.
but for pies/taste etc there are better squash candidates to the purpose.
nor is Libby is some huge conspiracy to hide that fact.

see
LIBBY'S Pumpkin History - NESTLE VeryBestBaking.com
I think you're going to have to give the "long story" you mention above because your post doesn't really make sense. As wyogal pointed out, we are talking about canned pumpkin... not canned pumpkin pie filling. And I don't think anyone is saying that pumpkin is not a type of squash. However, the link you gave actually says the opposite of what you are saying in your post. I'm not really sure what your point is, but I think most people here agree that canned pumpkin is actually better than fresh and equally nutritious.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #22
Cook

sorry - it was a bit cryptic.

Libby uses the Dickinson which botanically is closer to the butternut squash than the Halloween kind of pumpkin.

that said, if you look up a pix, sure _looks_ like a pumpkin (except for color) and sure _doesn't_ look like a butternut [g]

"experts" will disagree on what it (Dickinson) should be called, I just call it good.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #23
Head Chef

a BIT cryptic?? and no one has recommended a "Halloween" pumpkin for pie.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #24
Cook

msg #1
>>I've never made pumpkin pie before but I will be next week for TG. I would like to use "real" pumpkin, meaning not out of a can.

is what brought this to mind - it was quite obvious a bad idea to mention it.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #25
Head Chef

I just talked to Mom, and Dad CAN have butternut squash, but not pumpkin. So, there IS a difference between the type of pumpkin that Libby uses and a butternut squash.
What is a bad idea is making broad statements that are not necessarily true, no matter what the experts argue.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:11 PM   #26
Head Chef

I always use butternut squash for "pumpkin" pie. I cut them in half, bake them face down until they are soft. Not stringy, great flavor.

I have trouble growing pumpkins of any sort, but butternut squash like my garden. I use the Libby recipe, and I just leave the cloves out.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I just talked to Mom, and Dad CAN have butternut squash, but not pumpkin. So, there IS a difference between the type of pumpkin that Libby uses and a butternut squash.
What is a bad idea is making broad statements that are not necessarily true, no matter what the experts argue.
not sure to which broad statement you refer - however the debate belongs in the laps of the botanists as to whether it should be called pumpkin - a nice academic exercise - but because the marketing folks at Libby call it pumpkin does not mean it is true, either.

remember, a tomato is really a fruit - it took an Act of Congress to make it a vegetable, and it still is not a vegetable.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #28
Master Chef

I too have quibbled over semantics. A perfect example of this was in the thread about stocks and broths. I had to ask myself if it was really so necessary to be right. After all, both terms are used interchangeably, and most people really don't care. I sent a private message to the person I was arguing with and stated my case there, with references.

Wyogal, you're father is allergic to pumpkins. So don't use them in your pie. Dilbert, you gave a reference for your information, and gave it as accurately as you could.

But the op was asking a question about how to make pumpkin pie from scratch. I think she received her answer. Any other info is, at this point, extraneous.

I am beginning to realize, as I gain more experience in life (age 54), that it is far more important to lift each other up, to share what we know when it benefits others, and to give our best to each other. Wyogal, in your case, it is imperative to know if the product you are using is pumpkin or not. And your information about there being a difference between true pumpkins and squashes is useful to any who would need to know that difference for medical reasons.

What I see is to people agreeing, but not understanding that they are saying the same thing. It's something I and my DW did for years. We just said the same thing from differing viewpoints.

I think the first statement made by Dilbert, in this post, was wrong. But he apologized and corrected it with more accurate info; i.e. Dilbert says that Libby's is using real pumpkin, but that the pumpkin is of a variety that closely resembles squash.

Wyogal says that to call the canned product squash is wrong, and dangerous for her father. Where is the argument? You're both right. And that's a good thing, because I value both of you. You both try to give the most accurate information available to you. That's what I try to do as well. That's why this site rocks.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #29
Head Chef

I was just saying that they are two DIFFERENT things, one is pumpkin, yes related to BUT different from butternut squash. and I've already made plans to make the pie this year from SQUASH, I don't need you to tell me that.
sheesh.
too bad we can't all live up to your standards...
yep, I expect my hands to be slapped over this. probably banned because my view is different than yours, and I expressed it. and no, I don't care to get a pm from you telling me again how wrong I am, Goodweed. You also didn't get what I was saying about the difference as it relates to my dad. One vegetable contains a dangerous (for him) enzyme, the other doesn't, therefore: different.
p.s., Dillbert: the broad statement was the one you made regarding Libby's not being pumpkin. Thought it was obvious.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #30
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I was just saying that they are two DIFFERENT things, one is pumpkin, yes related to BUT different from butternut squash. and I've already made plans to make the pie this year from SQUASH, I don't need you to tell me that.
sheesh.
too bad we can't all live up to your standards...
yep, I expect my hands to be slapped over this. probably banned because my view is different than yours, and I expressed it. and no, I don't care to get a pm from you telling me again how wrong I am, Goodweed. You also didn't get what I was saying about the difference as it relates to my dad. One vegetable contains a dangerous (for him) enzyme, the other doesn't, therefore: different.
p.s., Dillbert: the broad statement was the one you made regarding Libby's not being pumpkin. Thought it was obvious.
Wyogal; I'm not sure what happened here. I was agreeing with you that there is a difference, and pointing out to Dilbert the same thing you just stated, that his first post in the thread was what was wrong. I'm not slapping your hand. I'm trying to support you, and Dilbert. And, you'll notice in my post that I said that the information you supplied is important to anyone who might be allergic to pumpkin. You will also notice that I stated that I am guilty of arguing over semantics and am not perfect. I make the same mistakes as everyone else.

What I was trying to do was do was unruffle feathers that appeared to be ruffled. I am a peacemaker by nature. Is that a bad thing? Please take my post as an attempt to help, and not as criticizm.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None