Making Pumpkin Pie with an Actual Pumpkin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Report on making pumpking pie from scratch. I took my jack-o-lantern and carved it up, peeled it, boiled it, and hit it with a hand blender the day after Holloween. It had been carved the night before, and I used LED lights to illuminate the inside so there would be no heat. The outside temperature was as cold as my fridge so I knew it would still be good. I froze several quarts of cooked pumpkin. I used one of those quarts two nights ago to make pumpin pie for today.. My wife broke into one of them (that didn't make me very happy:() and stated that the pie was every bit as good as from canned pumpkin. I used the Libby's recipe. The only thing I had to do to make the jack-o-lantern pumpkin suitable was cook out some of the moisture, and hit it with the hand blender to make it smooth. The crust came out very flakey, not soggy at all, and the filling tastes just like every other pumpkin pie that I've made with the Libby's recipe. I didn't use "pie" pumpkins. Another myth busted!

Now it may be that if I were to use a pie pumkin, it might add a richer color or flavor. I would have to make them with the same recipe and compare them side-by-side to tell.

So, I am passing the info on to anyone who doesn't want to waiste their jack-o-lanterns. The pumpkin would also be great for soup.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Ok; so now I've given you what my wife says about the pie. I tasted it tonight. Here's my take. The pie is really good, but is different than the flavor of the pie made from canned pumpkin. I do have to qualify this by stating that the Libby's can contains 3 1/2 cups of pumpkin. I had 3 cups even that I used to make my pies. Other than that, the recipes were identicle. That might also make a difference.

The pies made with jack-o-lantern pumpkins had slightly less pumpkin flavor, but were sweeter and spicier. That is, the pumpkin flavor didn't dilute the spices as much as with the canned pumpkin, and so the spice flavor, while still ballanced, was more intense, and for reasons I don't quite understand yet, almost buttery in flavor. The textures were identicle, creamy-smooth. I definitely needed a milk chaser after eating a small slice to clense the pallate. The flavor was very rich.

Verdict; If you want a more intense flavor, use the jack-o-lantern pumpkin and decrease the pumpkin in the recipe by 1/2 cup. If you want a yummy, but slightly more subdued flavor, go with the canned pumpkin, or the traditional pie pumpkin.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I would like to give my 2 cents on the subject... :D

I make about 4-6 pumpkin pies every year from real pumpkins. I usually use the pie pumpkins, but am pretty sure i've done it with just a 'small' pumpkin (may not, necessarily, have been a pie pumpkin) And just absolutely LOVE them!! Its definetly more work than opening a can, but for some reason, for me, it's much better!

I like to buy my pumpkins, and use them for decoration in my house. Then once it gets close to Thanksgiving, I cut them in quarters, and dig out the seeds and strings. (I LOVE LOVE to clean the pumpkin seeds off, dry them, put some sea salt, pepper, and garlic salt on them and bake in the oven... mmmm) I put the pumpkin in a dish with an inch of water and just bake them till they're tender. Scoop all the pumpkin out, then blend them with a hand mixer. If you blend it enough, it won't be stringy at all. But I really take alot of the stringy stuff out before I bake it. I also use the Libbys recipe, and always get compliments on my pies.

It is alot of work, but I also think it's fun. :)

I'm a newby here, but I'll toss in my 2 cents as well. I like to make pie from the pumpkin. I start with a sugar pumpkin (organic if I can find it), bake for one hour at 350 with a bit of water, cool and take out the pumpkin then refrigerate overnight.

For the recipie one trick I picked up from an ancient cookbook is to separate the eggs. I mix the egg yolk, pumpkin and evaporated milk in a blender. Pur into a bowl and add the sugar and spices. I then beat the egg whites to form soft peaks then gently stir into bowl with the rest of the filling. The pie is very light and fluffy when made that way. Doesn't even need whip cream.

I'm a newby here, but I'll toss in my 2 cents as well. I like to make pie from the pumpkin. I start with a sugar pumpkin (organic if I can find it), bake for one hour at 350 with a bit of water, cool and take out the pumpkin then refrigerate overnight.

For the recipie one trick I picked up from an ancient cookbook is to separate the eggs. I mix the egg yolk, pumpkin and evaporated milk in a blender. Pur into a bowl and add the sugar and spices. I then beat the egg whites to form soft peaks then gently stir into bowl with the rest of the filling. The pie is very light and fluffy when made that way. Doesn't even need whip cream.

Thanks for the "beaten egg whites" idea. That sounds like a winner.

Here's my next experiment that I'll try. I'm going to make the pie filling recipe, sans egg. I'll use instant butterscotch, cheescake, or white chocolate pudding to set the filling. This way, I can fill pre-baked puff pastry shells, or phyllo dough shells with the filling and not have to worry about overcooking the shells. Sounds like a natural for pot lucks and get togethers. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom