Maple Scones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
I have some heavy cream that "expires" tomorrow, so at 7:20am, while my son (who will be 3 tomorrow) was eating breakfast, I made some Maple Scones. I've made these a few times before and they are delicious.

I thought I'd share the recipe! Enjoy!

MAPLE SCONES

3 cups flour
4 tablespoons (packed) dark brown sugar (divided)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces

1/2 cup (or more) plus 6 tablespoons whipping cream (divided)

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (not pancake syrup) (divided)

2/3 cup (about) powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 375.

In a bowl combine the flour, 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the butter and cut in with a fork or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. In a bowl combine 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1/2 cup maple syrup and mix to blend. Gradually add the cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until dough comes together and adding more cream by tablespoonfuls if dough is dry.

Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead dough gently until smooth, about 5 turns. Using floured hands, pat out dough to 8-inch round; cut dough into 8 wedges. Transfer wedges to baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.

Bake scones until golden and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer to rack. Meanwhile, whisk remaining 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar, 6 tablespoons whipping cream and 2 tablespoons maple syrup in medium bowl to blend.

Gradually whisk in enough powdered sugar to form thick glaze. Drizzle or spread glaze over warm scones. Let stand until glaze sets.

Makes 8 scones.

Back
Top Bottom