Maple Walnut Squares

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansasgirl

Senior Cook
This is a great recipe. Very simple, but so delicious. Maple just tastes like fall to me.

Maple Walnut Squares
Crust:
1 1/2 c Flour
1/4 c Brown sugar
1/2 c Butter
Filling:
1 c Maple syrup
1/3 c Maple sugar (can use brown sugar if you cannot get maple sugar)
1/3 c Brown sugar
2 Eggs, beaten
2 tb Flour
1/4 ts Salt
1/2 ts Vanilla
1 c Walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350F
1.Combine flour, 1/4 c brown sugar and butter in bowl. With a fork, mix until consistency of fine corn meal.
2.Press mix into greased 9x13 pan. Bake for 15 minutes until crust is just set.
3.Combine sugars and syrup in small saucepan. Simmer 5 minutes. Pour over beaten eggs, gradually to prevent scrambling, stirring constantly. 4.Stir in remaining ingredients, except nuts. Pour mix over baked crust. 5.Sprinkle with nuts and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan and cut in bars.

oh man, i don't think we're in kansas anymore. i love maple desserts. thanks for the recipe!!! now where's my ruby slippers?

Well maple sugar is produced through the same process that makes syrup, except the sap is evaporated down to its crystallized state - Maple Sugar. There is really no good substitution other than brown sugar. To get an extra maple flavor you could add a dash of maple extract to the brown sugar. Where do you live? Is there no way to get it near you?

Re Maple Sugar......

I went looking for it recently and the only place I found it was at Whole Foods to the tune of app $13/lb. A bit pricy for me and my baking exploits! LOL

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that Whole Foods does carry it!

Hmm. I really do not live in Kansas, but that is where I am from and where I think my heart still is. I actually live in Houston. Here is something I found about making maple sugar - sounds pretty easy. There is also a website that sells it fairly cheap.

Granulated Maple Sugar
4 c pure maple syrup
1 ts butter
Large saucepan
Metal sieve
Wooden spoon
Candy thermometer
Funnel
Storage containers for granulated sugar (e.g. Tupperware)

1.Add maple syrup and butter to pot and boil uncovered to 254 degrees Fahrenheit. Remove from heat and stir with wooden spoon until syrup becomes granular and dry. This may take up to 30 minutes.
2.Sift though sieve onto cookie sheets and let dry for 3 hours. Transfer into storage containers using funnel. Store containers in a cool dark place. Granulated sugar can be used in place of white or brown sugar.
3.If you plan to bake with granulated maple sugar use Canada # 2 Amber since it has a stronger maple flavour. Canada # 1 syrup will produce a lighter coloured sugar with a more delicate flavour that is suitable for sprinkling on toast, grapefruit etc. It will keep for several months.
http://www.fultonsfarm.com/cooking.htm

http://www.rmgmaple.com/the.store?cart_id=2808519.96887&page=products.html

Kansasgirl, as usual, you've got some fabulous ones here. I make maple sugar the exact same way and buy a couple of gallons of Vermont or New Hampshire Grade B (#2) Amber each spring. Maple cream is a staple here in this house.

Nothing smells as wonderful as maple syrup cooking in the cold Northeastern air....

kansasgirl,
Do you use what we call English Walnuts or Black Walnuts. I have to give this a try, I love maple syrup. I am from the midwest so it is plentiful here.

Oh, drool - these may have to go on the Christmas list! I too am a maple syrup addict! Tx for sharing!

I think King Arthur also sells maple sugar on their site.

I love Black walnuts, but they can be rather difficult to find and expensive. I think they have a much richer flavor than the usual Persian walnut. Any kind will do, but if you have Black walnuts, USE THEM! :)

Back
Top Bottom