McIntosh apple pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marcus

Cook
I have concocted a recipe for an apple pie using McIntosh apples. The recipe is as follows.

Ingredients:
4 McIntosh apples; cored, peeled, and sliced
lemon juice (of 1/2 lemon)
2 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup flour
3 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
vegetable shortening
2 pie crusts

Procedure:
Core, peel, and slice the apples into 1/4 or 1/8-inch segments. Add lemon juice to the apple segments. Put the apple segments and leftover peel into separate bowls. In a separate boiling pot, set the water and sugar to boil to make a simple syrup. In a separate bowl, mix the cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and cornstarch. When the syrup is done boiling, gradually bring all of the ingredients together. After greasing the pie pan with vegetable shortening, arrange one pie crust on top of it. Add the apple filling into the pie pan. Cover the filling with the other pie crust and make three slits in the middle on top. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes or until golden brown. Take out the pie and set to cool. Serve warm with ice cream or frozen custard.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, 1. It uses a simple syrup, and 2. It uses McIntosh apples instead of the usual Granny Smith apples. I hope this helps. If not, please elaborate on your concerns and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Granny Smiths are only "usual" in the last ten or so years they've been grown in CA. My mother made pies from MacIntosh apples for most of the last century, so what do I know? actually, I never use Granny Smiths for anything as I find them way too tart. If I have to use "store apples," I'll always choose Gala and/or Golden Delicious. Have you tried those? They are not as watery as Macs (altho Macs are mighty good eating!)

Also curious why you'd prefer syrup to butter and cinnamon-sugar?

I agree with June in that it's not at all uncommon to make pie with Macintosh apples.

I am curious about why you use simple syrup -- that seems like a lot of added water to the pie.

Also why you grease your pie plate

Hey Marcus....

Have you prepared this pie with success? if so, then continue to bake and enjoy it!!

It does seem to me that the ratio of apples (4) to the thickened simple syrup
(2+) cups would be off for my personal taste. Maybe more apples or less "filling"....I think I would want more apples for sure.

No matter! If you enjoy it that is all that matters!

Have fun and Enjoy!!

ChefJune said:
Granny Smiths are only "usual" in the last ten or so years they've been grown in CA. My mother made pies from MacIntosh apples for most of the last century, so what do I know? actually, I never use Granny Smiths for anything as I find them way too tart. If I have to use "store apples," I'll always choose Gala and/or Golden Delicious. Have you tried those? They are not as watery as Macs (altho Macs are mighty good eating!)

Also curious why you'd prefer syrup to butter and cinnamon-sugar?

After the apple pie bakes, the crusts aren't soggy at all and the Macs are "melt-in-your-mouth". Very delicious! You should really try out my recipe. And the syrup coats the apples and gives it a carmelized consistency. It's like a yummy apple-cinnamon syrup to go along with the apples in the pie. Note: for pie crusts, I would recommend the Pillsbury brand.

Uncle Bob said:
Hey Marcus....

Have you prepared this pie with success? if so, then continue to bake and enjoy it!!

It does seem to me that the ratio of apples (4) to the thickened simple syrup
(2+) cups would be off for my personal taste. Maybe more apples or less "filling"....I think I would want more apples for sure.

No matter! If you enjoy it that is all that matters!

Have fun and Enjoy!!

My family LOVED the apple pie I made. And at your request, I will take the adding of an extra apple to the recipe for consideration.

only 4 apples in the whole pie? filling up the rest with a starch thickened filling? and 2 cups of sugar? wow! sounds like something from the freezer section.

i use about 8 apples per pie, with a handful of instant tapioca to soak up the juice. as far as sugar goes, i use 1 handful of white and 1 of brown, probably a 1/2 cup or a tad less. i prefer granny's myself, as i prefer a tart apple with some crispiness left after cooking, but evey pie my mom or grandmothers ever made used mac's.

of course everyone's tastes varies, so if you enjoy it, it's fine. it doesn't sound too appetizing to me, but i will applaud your experimenting and coming up with such an unusual approach.
icon12.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom