Mince pies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gravy Queen

Head Chef
My humble gluten free mince pies , I do love a good mince pie afore I go a wassailing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 338
Those look fantastic!

Why's mince pies Christmas ones?
The rest of the year tis' only buns!
I'd like to thumb them buns.
Be able to do a runner, in the summer, for more of them mince pies. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

from "The Elusive Mince Pie" by George Bernard Shaw

My humble gluten free mince pies , I do love a good mince pie afore I go a wassailing.

I used to like mince meat pies as a child. But it has been more than 60 years since I have had a slice. I don't see it very much in these here parts.

Is that a hand sewn cloth those pies are sitting on? :angel:

I don't think many American's know what wassailing is. My first husband told me and said he was 14 the first time his father took him with him. Very sick the next morning. But I think it is a lovely tradition. :angel:

I would like to say yes Addie but it's a dish :)

Do you have mince pies too ?

We do have them and they are associated mostly with Christmas. I know of only one woman who makes them from scratch and she uses the meat and suit. I took a small bite of hers and it was not the pie I remember as a child. Perhaps my taste buds have changed over the years.

You can buy them though. :angel:

These are sweet though , originally looooooong ago they did actually have meat in them but evolved over the centuries to a sweet filling only .

These are sweet though , originally looooooong ago they did actually have meat in them but evolved over the centuries to a sweet filling only .

I think that is what I remember. The woman I know is a definite food snob. Only makes the original recipe. And it is not a good one. :angel:

So...this 'murcan doesn't know what wassailing is....and whats in a mince pie?

I like how you decorated them with "Texas" stars. ;)

So...this 'murcan doesn't know what wassailing is....and whats in a mince pie?

I like how you decorated them with "Texas" stars. ;)

It is a custom on New Year's Eve. Each home has a large punch bowl filled with a bit of grog. You go house to house to wish your neighbors a Happy New Year and have a drink of the grog. My husband lived in the lakes district in northern England and his parents went a wassailing every year. When he turned 14, his father thought he was old enough to join in the tradition. They also had family just over the border in Scotland. You couldn't forget them. So off they went to spread the good cheer. After a few years, you learned who had the best grog.

For the mince meat pie take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mince_pie :angel:

Last edited:
I don't think many American's know what wassailing is. My first husband told me and said he was 14 the first time his father took him with him. Very sick the next morning. But I think it is a lovely tradition. :angel:

In Virginia, we do. It's popular at Colonial Williamsburg, which most Virginia kids, and others along the southeast coast visit with family or during school field trips. They sell spice kits there, as well as in grocery stores. People serve it at a holiday open house or brunch.

It's actually hot mulled cider - spiced hard apple cider. I've sometimes made it with non-alcoholic apple cider and put out bottles of apple brandy and cinnamon schnapps so people can choose what they like.

Last edited:
In Virginia, we do. It's popular at Colonial Williamsburg, which most Virginia kids, and others along the southeast coast visit with family or during school field trips. They sell spice kits there, as well as in grocery stores. People serve it at a holiday open house or brunch.

It's actually hot mulled cider - spiced hard apple cider. I've sometimes made it with non-alcoholic apple cider and put out bottles of apple brandy and cinnamon schnapps so people can choose what they like.

It is nice to know the tradition is continuing here. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom