My sister's Apple Dumplings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
My sister Robin's Apple Dumplings
(*these are beautiful and absolutely delish!)

4 fugi apples: halved, cored, peeled
Refrigerated pie crust dough cut into (8) 6"x6" squares
Date Butter (recipe follows)

Place 1/2 apple on center of pastry square.
Fill with heaping Tbsp of date butter.
Cut each corner toward apple (as though you are making an "X", only not cutting past where the apple sits. Then cut as though you are making a "+", again not cutting past where the apple sits)
Fold every other point like a pinwheel, then repeat with remaining corners. (a few drops of water will seal it)

Brush with egg wash. Bake @ 375 for 25 min.

While baking, place in pot:
1 c. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
Add 1 c. boiling water, whisk over heat till boiling (3 min) and remove from heat.
Add:
1 Tbsp softened butter
2 sticks cinnamon
2 Tbsp. rum
Stir till clear over low heat. Set aside. (Remove sticks just before serving sauce)

After apples have finished baking and then cooled (10-20 min), place each dumpling in a shallow dessert bowl and add a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and 2 Tbsp. sauce on top. Dust with powdered sugar.

Date Butter:
Blend in food processor till finely chopped:
1/4 c. chopped dates
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. finely ground nuts

Add:
1/2 c. butter & process till creamy.
(add more butter if necessary for thick, paste texture)

Oooooohhh, they often have apple dumplings in the cafeteria of the hospital where I do clinicals....I can tell you, if it weren't for the promise of apple dumplings at lunchtime I would never survive that 13-hour shift....they may be frozen, and I may have to pour 2 of those little plastic pots of half & half over them instead of real cream, but I don't care!!! All the other students laugh at me 'cos I do a little 'happy dance' while waiting in the cafeteria line if Apple Dumplings are on the menu....

Paint.

I'd like one for dinner tonight. They sound like the perfect thing for a cold winters night dessert. Thanks!

I've never had these. We usually bake our apples without the pastry on the outside. I think I will give these a shot. Think I will use Granny's though.

Granny Smiths would be wonderful too, Alix!
The date butter is also really good if you roll it up in crescent rolls for a quick dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom