Need Help determing what an ingredient in old recipe is

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmssk323

Assistant Cook
Hi
New to the forum. I just discovered it while I was searching for information about an ingredient. Plan on becoming an active member!

I have an old recipe for creme puff pastry and it calls for an ingredient called "compound" It is in a small collection of old recipes from the 20's.
I originally thought it might be baking powder or soda but htose are identified as such in other recipes from the same collection.

Does anyone have an idea?? maybe a type of butter since the recipe doesnt have butter in it! Maybe a crisco type shortening. I dont see shortening listed elsewhere in the recipes.

Thanks for your help
Mindy

I'm wondering if it is Baking Ammonia, used in making Choux pastry, it's a Traditional/Old-World leavening for low moisture baked goods.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC. I had the same thought as PF (and then wondered, can one still buy that? Some of my grandma's recipes call for it).

Welcome to DC. I had the same thought as PF (and then wondered, can one still buy that? Some of my grandma's recipes call for it).
Is that salt of hartshorn? Hjortetakkesalt in Danish? I know a place in Montreal that sells it.

The light, crispness of cookies made with it is delightful, but subtle.

Is that salt of hartshorn? Hjortetakkesalt in Danish? I know a place in Montreal that sells it.

The light, crispness of cookies made with it is delightful, but subtle.
I was shopping at a nearby (2.3 km from my home) Greek grocery store (Mourelatos). Quite by accident, I spotted "Ammonium Carbonate" with the spices. w00t! I had read it was used in some Greek cookie recipes.

My other source, which I hadn't gone to yet, is in Montreal and about 24 km away with no parking lot. (Anatol, 6822 Boulevard St-Laurent, Montreal, QC).

Back
Top Bottom