Need help with turnovers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
We have an event going on this weekend...a memorial celebration for several dear friends who have passed.
I am to stove up to go, but Kim and one his buddies are going to go, and need to send something.
I found several packages of puff pastry in the freezer, and I still have a vacuum-packed bag each of apple and peach filling that I got when a local grocery store closed, so I thought I'd make turnovers. I've had this stuff over a year, but it has no use-by date on it.
Has anyone anyone out there in the commercial cooking world ever use bagged fillings? The baker told me it did not need to be refrigerated, and that it would not spoil, as long as I kept the bag tightly sealed.
I guess I could open a bag tonight, take a little taste, and if I'm not sick by in the morning, I'll go ahead and use it. :ermm:

Another question: The recipe I have (Ina Garten's), calls for using an egg wash and a sprinkling of granulated sugar on top.
But the ones I've always eaten had a simple powdered sugar glaze on top.
Which would y'all recommend?

Last edited:
The fillings should be alright but I would taste as you said. If they have turned, the smell will let you know also. To make it easier on you, you could just sift some powdered sugar over the turnovers after they cool some. That would work too.

You'd know they were bad without even opening them. The bags would be all puffed out, like the contents were under pressure, fermenting. If that isn't the case, they are fine to use.

As for the top of the turnovers...I'm a glaze girl, myself.

Connie, the egg wash just gives them a finishing touch in my eyes and then a sprinkle of sugar is all you need..Powdered sugar is nice but I don't use it when having to pack things up and carry it they get stacked on each other and it smashes down the powdered sugar.. Does this Make any sense ? But being you are hurting, just do something easy, your thoughfulness will be remembered and appriciated.

kadesma:)

Since the fillings are vaccumed-sealed they should be fine. Like vera said, if they were going bad they would puff up from fermenting. As for the topping, I would go with powdered sugar, after they have cooled as Shunka mentioned.

As for the top finishing, I'd go with the egg wash and the sugar. It would give some sparkle and a little of crunch. BTW I think others are right about how to test for spoilage. Smell and a puffy bag would be dead give-aways.

Best to you.

The filling was just fine, and the turnovers turned out very nicely. I ended up going for the egg wash and granulated sugar because they are going to be transported.
Now that I see how simple this was, I think I'll be doing more things with the puff pastry.
Thank you all for your input.

Constance said:
The filling was just fine, and the turnovers turned out very nicely. I ended up going for the egg wash and granulated sugar because they are going to be transported.
Now that I see how simple this was, I think I'll be doing more things with the puff pastry.
Thank you all for your input.
Connie,
we love puff pastry and often make appy's with it..One my kids and I love is to take a fully cooked type thick sausage, say a brat wrap in puff pastry, give it an egg wash and bake..When done slice into rounds and serve with several types of mustards and plenty of toothpicks to pick them up with..Yummy:D

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom