"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 11-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Question Need method for this recipe please

--this might should go in techniques instead of pies and pastries. sorry if i got it wrong--

i have a pie crust recipe i requested from someone, oh about 8 years ago. i put ingreds and amounts, but i did not put the directions.
please tell me the right technique for incorportating these ingreds for a pie crust. i remember loving her crust, but i sure didnt write the directions!!!

3 c. flour
2 small cream cheese
3 sticks blue bonnet marjarine

(to the best of your knowledge or educated guessing abilities, please fill in the blank on how to incorporate the ingreds and bake it).

i always have done store bought crust and have never made my own.
i have never really cared for crust, except for this persons. i remember it to this day, buttery and flakey. not boring & blah like i have always perceived crusts.

thanks for yalls input.
there are many, many wise peeps on this forum.

happy thanksgiving!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #2
Master Chef

I would mix the cream cheese and butter together. Keep them cold though. Then you can gradually add the flour. I'd start with one cup flour then add the other 2 in half cup increments. You may have to finish it using your hands. I've never seen a pie crust that uses cream cheese before. Sounds interesting.

Old 11-21-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I would mix the cream cheese and butter together. Keep them cold though. Then you can gradually add the flour. I'd start with one cup flour then add the other 2 in half cup increments. You may have to finish it using your hands. I've never seen a pie crust that uses cream cheese before. Sounds interesting.
Made one with cream cheese for custard and fruit tarts, but I added cold water in to help bind it and a bit of confectioners sugar. It was wonderful. Made about 350 tarts for a dessert tasting fund raiser for my Literacy group. I didn't get to bring any home
Old 11-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Traditionally, butter, lard, (and cream cheese) is kept VERY COLD, and cut in pea size pieces when mixing with flour. It is time-intensive, but worth it.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Executive Chef

I would hand rub the marj in to crumb stage, then fork in the water, then fork in the cheese or put it all in my F/processor. I allways leave my pastry to rest.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:15 AM   #6
Head Chef

I have this one,

Cream Cheese Crust
9-inch pie
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cream cheese
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
Directions:
1. Soften cream cheese and butter and mix together incorporating flour a little at a time.
2. Roll out with a rolling pin between 2 wax papers.
Transfer to a 9-inch pie plate and prick with fork before half-baking to prevent shrinkage.
Bake for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees F
Old 11-22-2010, 07:34 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I would hand rub the marj in to crumb stage, then fork in the water, then fork in the cheese or put it all in my F/processor. I allways leave my pastry to rest.
I agree. Do not mix the butter and cream cheese. They serve different purposes. The flour needs layers of cold butter mixed in. While baking, the water in the butter creates a steam pocket, and the butter fat gives the flour a crispy texture (flakes). Cream cheese, while it has water, has a fat structure that prevents the flour from becoming crispy.

If the butter is mixed with the flour first, It will coat the flour and prevent it from becoming soggy with the cheese.

The purpose of the cream cheese is to make a softer crust (less flaky - less browning) and add a little flavor.

With a :
1.Flour/Butter
2. Cream cheese
3. Ice water

...in that order, you should end up with a soft, crumbly crust with a nice flavor.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:30 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Selkie,I make a "rough" puff pastry without lamination by freezeing the butter, then grating it into the flour.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Selkie,I make a "rough" puff pastry without lamination by freezeing the butter, then grating it into the flour.
Oooo... I like that!

I like the idea of making my own puff pastry, but I never thought it was worth spending $3,000 on a sheeting machine, even if I won the lottery! (They take up a lot of counter space.)
Old 11-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #10
Head Chef

ooo great Idea freezer the butter -- will try- thanks

Tags
recipe

Need method for this recipe please --this might should go in techniques instead of pies and pastries. sorry if i got it wrong-- i have a pie crust recipe i requested from someone, oh about 8 years ago. i put ingreds and amounts, but i did not put the directions. please tell me the right technique for incorportating these ingreds for a pie crust. i remember loving her crust, but i sure didnt write the directions!!! 3 c. flour 2 small cream cheese 3 sticks blue bonnet marjarine (to the best of your knowledge or educated guessing abilities, please fill in the blank on how to incorporate the ingreds and bake it). i always have done store bought crust and have never made my own. i have never really cared for crust, except for this persons. i remember it to this day, buttery and flakey. not boring & blah like i have always perceived crusts. thanks for yalls input. there are many, many wise peeps on this forum. happy thanksgiving!!! 3 stars 1 reviews