Need some pastry advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
Hi Everyone,

Do you think that the crust will get soggy if I bake a pumpkin pie on Tuesday for Thursday's dinner? If so, what would you suggest I make with pumpkin for the dinner?

We are traveling to Virginia from New York State on Wednesday hence the need to bake the pie on Tuesday.

Thanks,

Lyndalou

I would make pumpkin bars with cream cheese icing. They don't need to be refrigerated like the pie would.

The cream cheese icing is easier to refrigerate and can be put on right before the dinner.

Last edited:
It could get moist.

You could pre-bake the crust after brushing it with beaten egg white. The egg white will create a moisture barrier to help keep the crust dry.

If you do this, plan on covering the exposed crust with a pie shield or shaped foil when you are baking the whole pie. this will keep the crust from burning.

I would go with Andy's suggestion. You won't have a nice fresh crust, but it won't be too soggy either.

Pies in the grocery store usually have around a 5 day shelf life, and their crust holds up reasonably well.

It could get moist.

You could pre-bake the crust after brushing it with beaten egg white. The egg white will create a moisture barrier to help keep the crust dry.

If you do this, plan on covering the exposed crust with a pie shield or shaped foil when you are baking the whole pie. this will keep the crust from burning.

That's what a friend of mine did. She brought the filling in a jar and assembled and baked the pie at the party. Actually, I don't think she pre baked the crust, I think she froze it in the pie plate.

Soggy Bottom

Andy is correct, we call it blind baking, the only thing I would add is to overlap the pastry to stop shrinkage, bliind bake, fill and cook, the run a knife around the baking tins edge to trim off the excess crust.

Back
Top Bottom