New York Style Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
CHEESECAKE

For the Crust:
2⅓ C Graham Cracker Crumbs
(⅔ of a 14-15 Oz. Box, 10 oz.)
¼ C Sugar
½ C Unsalted Butter, melted

For the Filling:
2 Lb Cream Cheese, room temp.
1½ C Sugar
¼ C Flour
5 Ea Eggs
16 Oz Sour Cream
¼ C Milk
1 Tb Vanilla Extract

Position the oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375° F.

Wrap the bottom and sides of a 10-inch spring form pan with heavy-duty foil, crimping it tightly under the top edge of the pan.

Make the Crust:

In a food processor, process the crackers and sugar to a fine crumb.

Add the melted butter and pulse until the crumbs are uniformly moist.

Put the crumb mixture into the pan and distribute it evenly over the bottom and half way up the sides of the pan using a flat-bottomed glass, can or cup with straight sides.

Bake 8-10 minutes. Put the pan on a cooling rack. Leave the oven on.

Make the Filling:

Beat the cream cheese and sugar at high speed until well blended, scraping down the sides of the bowl and beater several times to ensure complete blending.

Mix in the flour. You cannot over mix to this point. The intent is to beat air bubbles into the cheese and sugar mixture.

Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each just until combined before adding the next. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary to ensure complete mixing.

Beat in the sour cream, then the milk and vanilla, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.

Pour the filling into the crust.

Place the foil wrapped spring form pan into a large roasting or sauté pan that is at least an inch larger than the spring form pan on all sides. Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come half way up sides of the springform.

Put the pans into the oven and bake the cheesecake until just set in center and the top is slightly puffed and browned, about 1 hour and 10 minutes. Measure the temperature of the cake an inch from the edge: when it reaches 175°F, turn off the oven. 150ºF-155ºF in the center.

Turn off oven and keep the door closed. Leave the cake in the oven for 1 hour.

Remove the spring form from the larger pan and cool the cheesecake in the springform on a cooling rack.

Run a thin knife around the pan between the side of the cheesecake and the side of the pan to separate the cake from the side of the pan. Refrigerate uncovered.

When the cheesecake is completely chilled in the refrigerator, cover it with plastic wrap and continue to refrigerate overnight before removing from the pan.

Slice and serve the cheesecake directly from the spring form pan bottom or remove it to a flat rimless plate or cake dish for serving.

To easily remove the cheesecake from the pan bottom, heat the bottom of the cake pan for 10 seconds on a gas or hot electric burner to soften the butter in the crust then slide the cake onto a serving platter using a cake spatula or similar to assist in the transfer.

Slice with a long thin knife dipped in hot water (shake off excess) before each cut.

Hi Andy this is almost identical to the recipe I use. A couple things that I do that you may find helpful. I bought a 10" cake pan, I put my springform in there and that into the water bath. works great and no leaking. Next - I use 4 lb. test fishing line to slice my cheesecake. I just roll off 3 feet or so, wrap it around my fingers and press into the cake and "saw" a little bit until you get through the crust. Then while pressing down on the line, pull it through and it makes the cleanest slices. I will try your trick with heating up to remove.

Hi Andy this is almost identical to the recipe I use. A couple things that I do that you may find helpful. I bought a 10" cake pan, I put my springform in there and that into the water bath. works great and no leaking. Next - I use 4 lb. test fishing line to slice my cheesecake. I just roll off 3 feet or so, wrap it around my fingers and press into the cake and "saw" a little bit until you get through the crust. Then while pressing down on the line, pull it through and it makes the cleanest slices. I will try your trick with heating up to remove.

Thanks. I use a 10" springform pan and wrap in HD foil. That goes into a larger sauté pan and I add boiling water. Works great.

For slicing I fill a tall glass with hot water and dip a long thin knife in the water between slices. That also works well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom