No Bake Pumpkin Pie Recipe- HELP! I have the ingredients but not the recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RosieHawk

Assistant Cook
Hi,

I'm hoping this older recipe looks familiar to someone and they can fill in the missing info!

My mother was given this 'recipe' back in the 70's.

This is what I have:

-2 graham cracker pie shells
-1 can apple juice
-1 envelope of Knox gelatin
-2 8oz cream cheese
-2 cans pumpkin
-Bakers semi sweet chocolate
-2 boxes of ginger snap cookies

From the description my mother gave me it sounds like some of the gingersnap cookies were used in the the pie as it had a bit of a crunch and some were crumbled on top along with drizzled chocolate.

Thanks!
Rosie

Welcome to DC! I've made Claire Robinson's pumpkin tart from 5 Ingredient Fix on Food Network. It uses crumbled gingersnaps for the crust, and when I doctored up the filling with a bunch of pumpkin pie spices, was excellent. You do have to bake it though.

Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

Thanks for the response!

Basically I'm trying to find the full recipe that goes with the ingredients I've listed above.

My mother raved about how delicious this recipe was but has no idea how it's made...the list above made perfect sense to her 30+ years ago but now means nothing hahaha!! I'm not adventurous to make it without the missing quantities and actual instruction.

I'm hoping someone on this board recognizes this recipe and maybe can fill in the blanks so I can make this for her. :)

Hi,

I'm hoping this older recipe looks familiar to someone and they can fill in the missing info!

My mother was given this 'recipe' back in the 70's.

This is what I have:

-2 graham cracker pie shells
-1 can apple juice
-1 envelope of Knox gelatin
-2 8oz cream cheese
-2 cans pumpkin
-Bakers semi sweet chocolate
-2 boxes of ginger snap cookies

From the description my mother gave me it sounds like some of the gingersnap cookies were used in the the pie as it had a bit of a crunch and some were crumbled on top along with drizzled chocolate.

Thanks!
Rosie

Some of the quantities of the ingredients indicate that this would make 2 pies. However, several things puzzle me.

First, two graham cracker crusts...yet two boxes of ginger snap cookies. Why the ginger snap cookies if one uses graham cracker crusts?

A "can'' of apple juice? Without the instructions, which you are seeking, we don't know what size can.

Then, there's the chocolate. To me, that seems like an odd ingredient to combine with pumpkin and ginger snaps. I don't recall having had that combination before but it could be quite good.

I have several thousand cookbooks, many very old. I'll check my volumes from the era you say the recipe came from. Maybe I can find some information. Especially if I search the ones that are community- or church-based.

Be patient. There'll be more answers.

Hi Katie,

I agree the recipe is different LOL!

I think what my mom wrote down is more a grocery list for the recipe. Helpful...NOT!

The recipe is for (2) pies I know that.

The cookies are not for making the crust but to be used in the filling and as a garnish along with the chocolate.

Yes, I agree the apple juice is a mystery ingredient and if it's for 2 pies would one packet of gelatin be enough?

Anyhoo, like I mentioned my mother said that the recipe was delish and yes different. She made it once then lost the 'recipe' until recently when it fell out of an old cookbook she was looking at.

I agree, this is the oddest list of ingredients for a no-bake pie I've ever seen, Rosie. Trying to wrap my head around how they could come together. Anyway, I PM'ed you a suggested website. As a former NoDak, we were well known for putting together odd ingredients. Our Lutherans ate lutefisk. Hopefully they may be of some help.

I've been looking over the all recipes on this forum and I believe with all the cooking/ baking talent here someone will solve the mystery of this pumpkin pie recipe! Who doesn't like a good recipe challenge? ;)

Many recipes for Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake (no-cook) use Cool Whip or whipping creme. Perhaps this recipe is just exchanging the whipped creme part for a whipped apple juice gelatin - sound sort of logical?

So if I go by this recipe:

NO BAKE SNAP CHEESECAKE
1 env. Knox unflavored gelatin
1/3 c. sugar
1 c. boiling water
2 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 graham cracker crust
In large bowl mix gelatin with sugar. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. With electric mixer beat in the cream cheese and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour into graham cracker crust. Chill until firm, makes about 8 servings.

The mystery pumpkin pie recipe could be using the apple juice instead of water and sugar. I also assume since there is no added sugar in the pumpkin pie recipe the can pumpkin must be pumpkin pie filling not puree....although I don't want to assume anything LOL.

Now the question is still what to do with the ginger snap cookies that go in the filling? Crush it fine or chunky and how much?

Thoughts on this recipe are still very much welcome!!!!

Last edited:
1. In large bowl mix gelatin with sugar. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. With electric mixer beat in the cream cheese and vanilla extract until smooth. Pour into graham cracker crust. Chill until firm, makes about 8 servings.

2. The mystery pumpkin pie recipe could be using the apple juice instead of water and sugar. I also assume since there is no added sugar in the pumpkin pie recipe the can pumpkin must be pumpkin pie filling not puree....although I don't want to assume anything LOL.

3. Now the question is still what to do with the ginger snap cookies that go in the filling? Crush it fine or chunky and how much?

!

1. I did not read all the recipes thru but I believe they "folded" the whipped topping into the puree. I'm not a baker but don't think adding the gelatin straight to the cream cheese is right - I really don't know.

2. If my assumption is correct - then so is yours! LOL

3. I personally would crush some, not too fine, as I shouldn't think you'd want it to dissolve into the filling or have people think it is sand, but not so big as to be annoying. Incorporate as much into the filling keeping in mind it is a creamy pie - not a crunchy cookie! After, sprinkle the rest on top - again to your liking. Not too much, just a light sprinkle so that people will get a hint as to what is inside. IMHO

- when all is said and done- only experimenting will tell you how you'd like it. Or the ultimate tester - your Mom - will.

Might mean making 4 pies for testing.... we'll be along shortly after your mom chooses - to give your unacceptable ones the old "heave ho" into our gullets of course :LOL:

Thanks for the response!

Basically I'm trying to find the full recipe that goes with the ingredients I've listed above.

My mother raved about how delicious this recipe was but has no idea how it's made...the list above made perfect sense to her 30+ years ago but now means nothing hahaha!! I'm not adventurous to make it without the missing quantities and actual instruction.

I'm hoping someone on this board recognizes this recipe and maybe can fill in the blanks so I can make this for her. :)

Well, I have gone on the hunt and the closest I could find was the following

No-Bake Pumpkin Pie Recipe | King Arthur Flour

There are few ingredients. Hope this brings you closer to your quest.

I think so too! Still seems like an odd combination of ingredients to me, let us know how it turns out!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom