"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 01-03-2014, 09:45 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Nut roll

I am looking for a nut roll in the grocery stores and all I am finding is danish nut strudel. I bought it and its pastry is more of a bread like consistency ,usually nut roll I am looking for has a heavier consistency . Does any one know what the name for this type of dough would be called. Couple of the bakers I talked to said its always been a called strudel. But my grandma made nut rolls and it was not that type of dough like a strudel. Are there different nut rolls made with different doughs?

Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
Senior Cook

My grandmas texture of nut roll was different than what you find at the stores. And she never called it strudel nut roll or danish nut roll.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:35 PM   #3
Wine Guy

My aunt, who was Czech, used to make something called walnut potica for Christmas. It was dark bread dough, rolled out thin, covered with a nut & honey filling and then rolled and baked.

Here is a recipe:
Walnut Potica - Recipe.com

Is this similar to what you are looking for?
Old 01-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Yes that looks very much like it. The grocery store bakery only has what they call danish nut strudel, and it is shaped into a log but the texture is different. The texture is very much like soft dough.... Where as my grandmas had a firm texture. Been reading that nut rolls are made from sweet yeast and milk,and maybe the danish nut strudel from raised yeast. Still doing research. I am trying to see by the nut roll recipes which would make the kind my grandma made.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Could some one tell me the difference between a item called danish nut strudel and something called a nut roll? Maybe that will help me. Thx
Old 01-04-2014, 08:17 AM   #6
Executive Chef

It could have a lot to do with what part of the country your grandmother was from and her nationality. I live in Pittsburgh PA, and there are many different nationalities here, such as Polish, Slovak, Croation, Hungarian. Nut rolls are very common. They are sold in most grocery store bakeries, especially around the holidays and there's usually someone in every family who makes them. I have seen strudel in our local grocery store bakery, but it is packaged in such a way that it looks like it is baked somewhere else and brought in for sale. It is available all year round, whereas the nut roll is usually only available around the holidays, like Christmas and Easter. Besides being sold in stores, there are people who make them at home and advertise them for sale. The ones that are home-made are the most desired. Things go by different names in various parts of the country depending on what nationality of people settled in that area.

I could give you several recipes for nut roll, but it seems that you are looking to buy it already made. If you didn't see it for sale over the recent Christmas holiday, then it's probably not a popular item in your area.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:19 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumu View Post
Could some one tell me the difference between a item called danish nut strudel and something called a nut roll? Maybe that will help me. Thx

As far as I know, the dough is different, and with nut roll the filling is made with nuts, honey, sugar, milk, etc and the filling is spread on the dough before it is rolled up. With strudel the nuts are usually chopped small and combined with sugar and sprinkled over the dough.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:19 AM   #8
Sous Chef

My Oma made a nut roll similar to Steve's aunt. The dough had the texture of say, rye bread.
This recipe is pretty much identical to my Oma's.
Authentic Hungarian Walnut Rolled Strudel
Old 01-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket_J_Dawg View Post
My Oma made a nut roll similar to Steve's aunt. The dough had the texture of say, rye bread.
This recipe is pretty muck identical to my Oma's.
Authentic Hungarian Walnut Rolled Strudel

This is the first time I have ever seen this type of recipe referred to as strudel. This is always nut roll. It looks like a very good recipe.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:34 AM   #10
Executive Chef

I found the original page which has a long list of Hungarian Recipes. I am going to get hours of enjoyment reading through these recipes.

June Meyer's Authentic Hungarian Heirloom Recipe Index Page

Tags
None