Pate Brisee (Short Crust Pastry)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
My apologies that this recipe is in metric weights. It is how I was taught and the only way I have ever made it!

Pate Brisee

125 grams all-purpose flour
60 grams butter, softened
1 egg yolk
25 milliliters cold water
pinch salt

Keep approximately 25 grams of flour aside.

Mix butter into the remaining flour and salt by rubbing both through your fingers until it is well incorporated (or use a pastry cutter).

Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add yolk and water to the well. Knead lightly into a ball, adding the extra flour if needed.

You can wrap tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed; however make sure it is at room temperature when rolling.

A "short" crust is crumbly right? I am also pastry challenged. I get very frustrated if it falls apart. LOL I HAVE on many occasion fed the trash with an unruly dough.

If you make it ahead, then refrigerate it to solidify the butter, bringing it to room temp when you are ready to use it, you should have absolutely no problem rolling it out. You can use it right away, but may need a little more flour for rolling. I even keep balls of it in my freezer for short periods of time and when thawed and warmed up they are great.

If you make it ahead, then refrigerate it to solidify the butter, bringing it to room temp when you are ready to use it, you should have absolutely no problem rolling it out. You can use it right away, but may need a little more flour for rolling. I even keep balls of it in my freezer for short periods of time and when thawed and warmed up they are great.
OK thank you. I get so frustrated with pastry dough.

Is this for 1 crust? 9 or 10 inch size? Or is it 2 crust?

Back
Top Bottom