Pear Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Next time your in the mood to make an apple pie, try this variation. It is wonderful. I made it yesterday for my eldest daughter's birthday, at her request.

Pear Pie
Ingredients:
8 almost ripe pears (must still be crisp)
1 cup Splenda, or sugar
4 tsp. Corn Starch
2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. cinamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. lemon juice
1 deep dish pie shell

Crumb Topping
1cup flour
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. cinamon
1/4 cup butter

Preheat the oven to 425.
Peel, core, and slice the pears, or peel and chop into chunks after removing the core. Add the lemon juice and stir. Add 2 cups of water, the spices, and sweetener. Bring to boil and cook until the pears begin to soften. Do not cook until they are soft. Drain, reserving the liquid.

Return the liquid to the empty pot. Bring to a boil While the water is heating, make a slurry of the cornstarch and remaining water. Slowly pour the slurry into the boiling water while stiring. The end result should be a thick, yet syrupy liquid that will hold when the pie is cut, but not be rubbery.

Add the pears to the syrup and pur into the pie shell.

Mix the ingredients for the crumb crust together. Mix will with a fork, or use a pastry cutter to blend the ingredients. Crumble over the pie filling until completely covered.

Place in the oven and cook for 30 to 40 minutes until the crust perimiter is lightly browned. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Goodweed, I love pears and this sounds wonderful! Thank you!

And all great blessings to Splenda -- finally a stable product that we can bring to high temperatures and serve safely to our diabetic friends!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom