Pecan Chocolate Chip Pie (Alix.....this one is for you)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninduo

Senior Cook
Alix.......

Can you get Karo Corn Sryup in Canada? If so the recipe is right on the bottle (I use the dark syrup). All I do is add a cup or so of chocolate chips. It's one of those recipes that is so quick to make, the pie is ready to go b/f the oven is pre-heating (assuming you turn the oven on when you start making the pie.....lol). I actually have about 2/3 of the pie left. I'm going to my friends house for a playdate for our almost 3 yr olds and think I'll pawn the rest off on them.

Here's the recipe (right off the bottle) in case you can't get the Karo brand syrup. Enjoy!

Ingredients

3 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of corn syrup (light or dark)
2 T melted butter or margerine
1 t vanilla
1 1/4 cups of pecans
1 cup chocolate chips (Laurie's addition)
1 (9 inch) unbaked or frozen deep-dish pie crust. If frozen, do not thaw

1. Preheat oven to 350 deg. Place a foil lined cookie sheet in oven while it is preheating.
2. In a large bowl, stir first 5 ingredients until well blended. Stir in Pecans and chips. Pour into pie crust.
3. Place pie on cookie sheet and bake for 50-55 min until a knife inserted midway b/t the center and the crust comes out clean
4. Cool on a wire rack.

Oh Laurie, thank you! I have never seen Karo syrup here. We use Roger's mostly. I will take a look for it though. I am going to make this bad boy this weekend, we are having company and I am supposed to have my stove back TONIGHT! Hallelujah! I will let you know how it turned out for me. Thanks again!

I'm sure the brand of the corn syrup doesn't matter. It's just really handy to have the recipe on the bottle. I bet if you look on the bottle of the brand you buy, there will be a recipe there.

Good luck getting the new stove installed!!!!!

Let me know how the pie turns out.

throw another egg and a quarter cup of burbon in there and you've got my holiday pie! (the egg is to offset the thinning effect of the alcohol, I don't know if it's needed, but a friend told me to do it and it works)

Hey southerncook, I don't have any bourbon...would whiskey do? Or is the flavour different? I have never tasted bourbon.

The bourbon modification sounds good to me.

Bourbon is a type of whisky made from mostly corn. Scotch is a type of whiskey made from mostly malted barley. In my experience, most other whiskeys taste like a mixture of the two. The flavors are different, but not as different as between Scotch and brandy.

Results are in. Pie is completely gone. Inhaled in one sitting. A HUGE hit. Apparently whiskey is an appropriate substitute for bourbon. I LOVED this recipe. It was very easy and incredibly delicious. Thanks guys!

Stove is great!!! The microwave and dishwasher are in place and working and the fridge will move to its new home later today...I nearly have it all back WOOHOO!

OK...hope this works...This is demolition day...
06240024.JPG

These are pre window and cabinet installation. I am working on posting the nearly finished product. I just need to pick up the CD and I can post pictures of everything except the new cabinet doors. Thanks for the interest!
Summer%202004%20318.jpg

Summer%202004%20320.jpg

Back
Top Bottom