Pecan Pie - mine won't set up!!! HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lvtocmp

Assistant Cook
I have used the same pecan pie recipe for 20 years. For the past 3 yrs, it will not set up. I cannot imagine what is going on! I follow the recipe to a "t" and the past 3 pies I have made were soup! I tried cooking longer but then it only burns the pecans and the inside still will not jell and set up. What in the world is going on? My family loves it and I can no longer make it.:confused:

Hi Ivtocmp,

Welcome to discusscooking. Are you putting your pie on the very top rack of your oven? Also, have you had your oven calibrated lately? Maybe it is running cooler that it should be.

Off the top of my head that's all I can think of.

Have you changed brand names on any of the ingredients? If not, my bet is that the manufacturer of one of your ingredients has been tinkering with the formula - of course without benefit of informing its consumers!:mad: If you're still using the same brand(s) you began with, try changing brands. Boy, this is DISTINCTLY WEIRD. Keep experimenting, and let us know what happens - you might be the salvation of somebody else's pecan pie!!;)

The first thing that comes to mind, as a trained professional (kids, don't try this at home...well...ok..go ahead..have fun!)..is

Eggs....it's the eggs that set up a pecan pie. Are you using a different size of egg? Most recipes call for Large eggs (although they don't usually specify that to the anger of everyone using the recipe).

That's about the only thing I can think of right off hand...

Unless your oven is wayyyyyyy off...on the low side. Because the eggs need to reach a certain temperature to begin coagulating, thus setting up the pie.

If you could post the recipe, I'd be more than happy to go over it to see if I can find a flaw somewhere....

Back
Top Bottom