Pecan Pie runny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toothbrushx2

Assistant Cook
I did a search to see if this has already been discussed. Did not see a thread regarding runny pecan pie.

What did I do wrong?? My pecan pie is not firm. I am at work so I do not have the recipe with me. The filling is runny.:(

A runny filing in a pecan pie would be caused by either the incorrect ingredients, incorrect amounts of ingredients or insufficient baking time.

My pecan pie recipe includes three eggs, salt, sugar, butter, corn syrup and vanilla (and pecans, of course). It bakes at 350 F. for an hour to cook the sugars to thicken them and to cook the eggs which also act as a thickener.

When you have a chance, post your recipe or just compare it to this one or others and compare the ingredients and cooking times.

toothbrushx2, my MIL advised me long ago to add a tablespoon of corn meal to the mixture before baking. Seems to help with the thickening, and doesn't make your pie taste like cornbread.

Toothbrushx2

I just posted a recipe for Brenda's Pecan Pie, try it. It is the only one I use!!!!! Tried and True!!!

A tbsp or so of arrowroot powder in most any pie filling usually works for me. Arrowroot doesn't cloud the filling and it helps to keep things firm. I got this tip from an wonderful elderly lady who lived on our street when I was a girl, she baked endless pies in the summer.

Here's my recipe. Give it a try. It always comes out delicious and the filling is always firm.

Andy’s Pecan Pie

1 Piecrust

3 Eggs
1 C Dark Corn Syrup
2/3 C Sugar
Pinch Salt
6 Tb Butter, melted
1 1/2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 C Ground Pecans
1 C Chopped Pecans
1 1/2 C Pecan Halves

Preheat the oven to 350º F.

Prepare the piecrust and place it into a 9” deep-dish pie plate. Shape the edge decoratively. Chill.

Mix the eggs, syrup, sugar, salt, butter, vanilla and ground pecans in a bowl.

Spread the chopped pecans on the piecrust.

Pour the liquid mixture on top of the chopped pecans.

Arrange the pecan halves decoratively on top.

Bake for 1 hour or until firm.

Cool before serving.

Back
Top Bottom