Pecan Pie with Spiked Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raine

Executive Chef
Pecan Pie with Spiked Cream

Brown rice syrup is a sweetener with a soft, delicate flavor. It is sold in jars in the baking section of large supermarkets or health-food stores. You can substitute dark corn syrup in its place. You can make and freeze the unbaked crust up to a week ahead; bake the pie up to a day in advance, and refrigerate. Remove it from the refrigerator about an hour before you plan to serve it.

Crust:
1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
3 tablespoons ice water
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening

Filling:
1 cup brown rice syrup or dark corn syrup
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
1/2 cup pecan halves
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Topping:
2/3 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
1 tablespoon bourbon

Preheat oven to 350°.
To prepare crust, lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine 1/4 cup flour, ice water, and lemon juice, stirring with a whisk until well blended to form a slurry. Combine remaining 3/4 cup flour, powdered sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl; cut in shortening with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add slurry; toss with a fork until flour mixture is moist.

Gently press mixture into a 4-inch circle on 2 sheets of overlapping heavy-duty plastic wrap; cover with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12-inch circle. Freeze dough 10 minutes or until plastic wrap can easily be removed.

Remove dough from freezer. Remove top 2 sheets of plastic wrap; let the dough stand 1 minute or until pliable. Fit dough, plastic wrap side up, into a 9-inch pie plate, allowing dough to extend over edge. Remove remaining plastic wrap. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Fold edges under; flute. Bake at 350° for 8 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

To prepare filling, place syrup and next 5 ingredients (through egg white) in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Stir in pecans and vanilla. Pour filling into prepared crust. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until edges puff and center is set (shield edges of piecrust with foil if crust gets too brown). Cool on a wire rack.

To prepare the topping, combine the whipped topping and bourbon until blended. Serve with pie.

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge and about 1 tablespoon topping)

CALORIES 295 (27% from fat); FAT 8.8g (satfat 1.6g, monofat 3.9g, polyfat 2.3g); PROTEIN 3.9g; CARBOHYDRATE 48.8g; FIBER 0.8g; CHOLESTEROL 43mg; IRON 1.1mg; SODIUM 194mg; CALCIUM 21mg;

Now you went and did it. Brown Rice Syrup? Now I gotta look for brown rice syrup? I never even heard of brown rice syrup and I already know I'm gonna be looking for this stuff even if I never make this recipe!

This is like when Emeril mentioned Steen's cane syrup on his show. Steen's? Cane Syrup? Took me three tries to find it on the store shelf. I don't know what I would have done if I never found the stuff.

You should be banned from posting because I know I'm going to spend the next week or so pawing over store shelves looking for this stuff. GRRRR!!!! :roll:

Brown rice syrup is an extremely versatile and relatively healthy sweetener which is derived by culturing rice with enzymes to break down the starches, then straining off the liquid and cooking it until the desired consistency is reached. The final product is roughly 50% soluble complex carbohydrates, 45% maltose, and 3% glucose. The glucose is absorbed into the bloodstream immediately, the maltose takes up to one and a half hours to be digested, and the complex carbohydrates take from two to three hours, providing a steady supply of energy. Rice syrup has a shelf life of about a year, and once opened, should be stored in a cool, dry place.

check the natrual/health food stores, organic section, etc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom