Pecan pie without pecans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Yes I know, unheard of right? Well, pecan pie is dh's FAVORITE this time of year and he can't eat pecans. Any suggestions on how to do one without the pecans? Before anyone thinks what I thought, even finely chopped, he still can't swallow them. Any suggestions so that I can surprise him Thursday wil be greatly appreciated.

Why is it that he can't eat them?

I hate to say it, but if it is pecan pie he loves, substituting another nut will just not do.

Why is it that he can't eat them?

I hate to say it, but if it is pecan pie he loves, substituting another nut will just not do.

Because he has a motility disorder. The two muscles in his throat do not work as they should. One works at 60% and the other at 40%. He chokes on almost everything:(
He's been this way for a year, where have you been mister??:LOL:
Things have to be really soft to get down.

Oh Geez TG I am so sorry. I did know that, but somehow it slipped my mind. Must be the 2 hours of sleep I am working on.

Maybe there is some way of making it into an ice cream so it just slides down his throat?

Okay you can't finely chop them how about using them to infuse your cream filling? Not sure how you intended on making the filling but as a starting idea, wrap the pecans in cheesecloth and leave them to soak in milk or cream for a bit before heating the milk/cream to thicken. Remove the pecans just before you pour the milk/cream. Never tried it so you might need to play with it.

Oh Geez TG I am so sorry. I did know that, but somehow it slipped my mind. Must be the 2 hours of sleep I am working on.

Maybe there is some way of making it into an ice cream so it just slides down his throat?

It's ok G!! I was joking with you. I don't expect everyone to be hanging on my every word:LOL:, though, I don't know why you wouldn't:ROFLMAO:

It's been a year since I have really said anything about him anyway.

Okay you can't finely chop them how about using them to infuse your cream filling? Not sure how you intended on making the filling but as a starting idea, wrap the pecans in cheesecloth and leave them to soak in milk or cream for a bit before heating the milk/cream to thicken. Remove the pecans just before you pour the milk/cream. Never tried it so you might need to play with it.

my recipe
3 eggs
1 cup dark corn syrup
1/2 c light brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/4c margarine/butter
1 c pecan halves.
mix it all and pour into pie shell and bake 45 minutes at 375.

What do you think would happen if I blended them into a powder?

As he doesn't have an actual problem with the nut itself per se, powdering them shouldn't cause any problem at all. Be just like adding flour. May need to add a bit more fluid.

The problem though may become your pastry shell. You might have to try for a pecan mousse instead.

I had some pecan pie filling left over one year and put it in a soufflés dish and baked it - it was wonderful! No need to even use the pie shell as that may be an issue in and of itself. I probably did top it with the pecan mixture but you certainly don't have to! Just remember that it doesn't "harden" until it is VERY cool. Topping it with the powdered pecans wouldn't be a bad idea though.

I would try to grind them to a powder (pecans), you would then have the great flavor,if not, you tried hon, - good luck and Happy Thanksgiving !!

Miss TexasGirl I was thinking along the lines of some type of filling (no crust) that had all of the ingredients with the pecans run through a blender until they were "dust" then added to the filling. Baked in a dish. Almost "pudding" like.......

:)Im thinking of blending the whole mix the pecans,corn syrup etc into a puree then adding to pie shell and baking.If you decide to grind dont grind until the oils release because then you make pecan butter then again it might work.You could toast pecans for more flavor.
Good luck and let us know what you come up with.You might be on something we all would like.

I had the same idea about grinding the pecans into powder. Toast them, and then into the FP. As far as your recipe is concerned though, I can't decide on what you might want to do. It will absorb more liquid than normal, but will not behave the same as flour, like someone mentioned, because the nuts will release oil when they cook.

Doing something like a creme brulee might be a good way to go. When made right, there aren't many thing softer than a custard. Another one might be to make a mousse, in which case the suggestion about infusing cream with pecan flavor would probably be the best way to go, although you'd need a lot of pecans to a relatively small amount of cream to get enough flavor for that pecan pie taste.

Another option might be to try pecan oil if you can find it.

My wife who just passed had a similar problem and chocked on almost any thing she got to the point where she had a tube to feed her. We went through a tough time for many months. My point being have your DH checked for ALS as a precaution after what we went through I would not any one to go through that disease

How about a sugar pie, honey bun? This is pretty much a pecan pie without pecans.

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 cup maple sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup heavy cream
  • 1 egg
  • 1 Tbs flour
  • 2 Tbs butter, melted
  • 1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
TOPPING:
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
PREPARATION:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Pour into the pie shell and bake until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.

Whip the cream until almost stiff. Add sugar and vanilla, and beat until cream holds peaks. Spread over top of cooled pie.

:)Just had a thought what if you made pie without pecans and added butter pecan extract instead or made a mousse with the extract

What Caine calls Sugar pie is similar to treacle tart, but looks softer in flavour and very good, Caine thanks I'll be copying and pasting.

What about taking the filling of the sugar pie or the pacan pie with out the pecans and making it into an icecream topping, or as some one else has suggested a baked cream or even a pannacota...smooth to swallow, still that nice toothaching sweet taste.

Back
Top Bottom