Philo or Puff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

busyfingers

Assistant Cook
I have a recipe I would like to try for French Apple Tart. It calls for puff pastry, could I use philo?

Sliced apples are placed on the pastry and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and brushed with marmalade after baking.

Thanks for anyone that can help with this.

It would work better and faster with puff pastry.

If you wanted to use phyllo, you would have to do a layer at a time, brushing butter on each sheet before adding the next one. Then you could add the fruit and proceed.

If you are making it for the 1st time and not sure of yourself, I would stick to the recipe (puff). If you like it, play with it the next time.

I don't think it would be terrible with phyllo, but I think it would be outstanding with puff. I usually prefer phyllo in general, but in this case, it wouldn't be substantial enough to complete the dessert. Phyllo is good for dishes whose filling could stand on their own, like quiche, or for dishes that feature the flaky pastry. Here you want a vessel on which to "carry" the fruit. Phyllo couldn't hold up to it (IMO). That's why I'd use puff.

If you only have phyllo on hand, I would consider slicing the apples very thin, or dicing them, and creating a layered dessert. you could then cut it into triangles like baklava. That would be good with some nuts or craisins added, too. See this recipe for an idea of how to assemble something like that.

I would go with the Puff, but then I am not a huge fan of phyllo. DW, on the other hand, loves it for her Baklava and Spinach Pie.

:chef:I'm a star with all your help. I used the puff pastry and everything turned out wonderful.

I think another time I will give the philo a try and remember to put lots of layers brushed with the melted butter.

Thanks you all so much for your replies.

I'd use the phyllo dough, but that's just because I happen to have a package of it in my freezer, and I have no puff pastry anywhere.

yes, i agree - it would work with both but, completely different results. Puff pastry should give 'short' flakey results & phyllo is a sheet pastry that usually gives a crisper finish.

Hi Busyfingers,
No question, the tart should be made with puff pastry not phyllo/filo pastry!
regards,
Archiduc

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom