Pie Crust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Unless... Do kids count as food processors or garbage disposals? I get em mixed up...:LOL:

Mine only count as Tazmanian Devils or 3 bulls in a very small china cabinet.

Pie crust takes a few screw ups but I think is well worth messing up to learn, you can't beat a home-made one.

I like it w/o the processor, I dont have to open anything up to see if it has enough water.

I agree a little dry is better than a little wet.

I bake a lot of pies. I feel vaguely guilty that I don't make my own crusts.
Pillsbury crusts are faster and better than any I ever made so I'm a Pillsbury dough boy!
Are there any opinions here about whether lard or Crisco makes the better crust? Or which might be the least unhealthy? My money is on lard over Crisco since the transfat content of crisco might be worse than the cholesterol in lard.

ditto on pillsbury crusts. why go to all the trouble to make an iffy crust when i know it will turn out well from prepared dough.

save some time as well.

babe:dry:

I guess to me the "waste of time" and "trouble" spent on something = how I show I care for someone. Not that someone else doesn't care if they don't. That's just how I do.
I think it's worth the practice to make your own. Make 3 iffy crusts, the rest will be perfect. Spend 1 day just screwing them up, you never will again!
With lard. I don't use Crisco for anything unless someone pays me to.

Lard is definitely the fat of my choice when it comes to pie crusts. I use my great aunt Nell's pie crust recipe for my pasties. Her crusts were awesome. At least I was able to get the recipe before she was gone.

In our house it is. Auntie Nell's crust includes lard, flour, and white vinegar. I can't remember the rest of the ingredients. I'll have to check the recipe. I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow. Right now my attention is focused on Super Bowl commercials...well, the game, too.:LOL:

It's worth it to me to make my own crust because it tasted so much better than the frozen stuff. Never have tried the Pillsbury crusts. I like the satisfaction of being able to do it myself even if I screw it up!

I made a chicken pot pie on Friday.

Made the filling and the pie crust (with rosemary in it).

Went to put it together and DARN IT could not find my pie plate. I still have no idea where the thing is. Did I break it and forget that? I don't know.

Anyway, I had a leftover frozen deep dish pie shell (I use them for this fantastic cauliflower cheese pie recipe) so I used that for a bottom and a pie plate and then used one disc of my own pie crust for the top.

Man was that thing ugly!!

But it worked. And confirmed that my pie crust is better than store-bought.

OOH! Thank you Alix! I'm going to take a shot at your pie crust recipe. Mom always made them ahead of time and froze them (and that was in the mid 1950's!) and never owned a food processor... Oh - the smart money out there is on me messing this up, by the way. Like I said earlier, I'm a vegetarian saute stuff to death sort of person! Not a baker...

Alix's recipe is a good one. I'd only change it by adding 1 tsp. of salt to the flour. As for which makes a better pie crust, lard had shearing properties that aren't matched by Crisco, or any other shortening. And butter, while it tastes great, melts too quickly to make good pie crust. Lard is the fat of choice as it helps produce very flaky and tender crusts (as long as they aren't overmixed).

I have found that you cna pretty much work flour forever and not develop the gluten, as long as you work it before adding water. Keeping the dough cold also helps the little pea/pebble sized dough pellets from blending together. Rather, the water "glues" them together through the starches, while the rolling and stretching flattens them into little flakes. It is the ratio of water to fat that creates a proper pie crust. The drier the crust, before rolling, the flakier the end product will be, and the more tender. But too little water won't allow you to transfer the dough to the pie pan as it will break too easily.

I've heard of people adding vinager to their crusts, but am unfamiliar with how that changes teh end result. I've heard good things about it though. Personally, I suspect that it changes the crust flavor more than anything else.

Also, depending on what you are using the crust for, you can add flavorings to it. Rosemary was mentioned. I've also added beef or chicken soup base to my crust mixture when making home made pot pies, or meat pies. I might add a little sugar, and some cinnamon to the crust if I'm going to make an apple pie. And there are other flavoings as well. Experiment a little. Add herbs and spices to tailor the flavor of your crust to the filling. Be creative. A great crust isn't hard to make, and it will certainly enhance any meal.

Here's an idea for you. Encase a good beef roast in a savory crust flavored with salt and pepper, and garlic. Bake with a thermometer inserted into the meat until the desired temperature is reached. For this application, I would guess an oven temp of 350, to avoid overcooking the crust.

Another idea, make a shortbread or scone recipe and press it into the pie pan to form a crust for a yummy bannana cream, or other custard filled pie.

There are a thousand ways to experiment with your crust. You can add sugar and cocoa, or vanilla, coconut, orange zest, etc. Let yourself create something wonderful, and have fun.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I use a basic recipe much like Alix gave above for most savory pies and pasties. I use the Cook's Illustrated one with butter and sugar only for sweet/desert pies.

Experience is the teacher here. The fact that you are making many in a row means you will find the technique. The other way is to make many with an experienced pie maker. But either way the key is repetition.

Back
Top Bottom