Pie Crust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello everyone!

I'm planning on making a pie this weekend that i've never made before, and was wondering if i could actualy make my crust instead of using a pre-made crust from the store like it says to. I've never made a crust before, so i was wondering if there was a good recipe someone could tell me?

Thank you all very much.. I love this website!:chef:

Absolutely... but allow some room for errors. I just tried this with my pumpkin pie that I made at Thanksgiving. I think the problem that I had was not making my dough moist enough. I think it is better to have a dough that is to wet than to dry.

Try this link... I really like how my crust turned out... it was much better than I expected!

OH... and welcome to the forum, tis a great place to be!

Sattie, as usual, offered up a good recipe. It's basically what I do. Once you make pie crust a few times, you dont need much of a recipe anymore...

It's not as difficult as ou might think. Using a food proessor, it's a snap. Give it a try.

Okay this was a holy disaster.. I clicked on the link you gave sattie, and tried to make one of the crusts, but i don't have a food processor big enough for this.. So i tried to do it in my mixer since it has a "pulse" button.. that absolutely did not work. So i tried 'pulsing' the mixer a little at a time in my tiny food processor, but i don't think that worked.. i put the mixture on the counter and tried to make the "2 discs" like it said, but there weren't any pea sized butter left in it.... i still wrapped them and put them in the fridge.. guess i'll see if i can roll it out in about 30 min... Guess i should just go to the store and buy a pie crust... ***Is there a recipe for a pie crust that dosn't involve a food processor????:mad::(

2 cups of flour
2/3 cup lard (crisco if you'd rather)
5 tbsps very cold water

Use either two knives, a pastry blender or a big fork to blend this together. Put the flour and lard together and cut up until it is pea sized or smaller grain. Then add the water a tbsp at a time (you may only need 4). (Run your hands under cold water first) Pour the water in and mush the dough til it sticks together. Try not to over work it. The less you can handle it the flakier this will be.

Split dough in half. Cover unused portion with plastic wrap. Sprinkle flour on your counter or a cutting board and flour a rolling pin. Roll dough from center to edges until it fits your pie plate. Repeat with other half. Fill with desired filling and crimp edges tightly before baking.

You'll do fine. That recipe is pretty hard to muck up. Lordy if I can do it successfully, then so can you!

My wife does all the dough stuff around here, and she makes great pie crusts without the use of a food processor. In fact, we don't even have a food processor, and seem to get along fine without out.:)

Maybe someday when the kitchen is remodeled and I have a place to put one, till then the wife works as a good substitute for a food processor.;)

Unless... Do kids count as food processors or garbage disposals? I get em mixed up...:LOL:

Here's my Grandma's recipe:

4 c Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1 tsp Salt
1 Tbs Sugar
1.75 c Shortening
1 Egg, lightly beaten
½ c Water
1 Tbs Vinegar

Whisk first four ingredients together in mixing bowl.

Mix in half the shortening. When integrated, add the egg, water, and vinegar. When those are integrated, add the rest of the shortening and mix for 10 seconds.

Roll out into desired shape. It should make one half-sheet pie (top and bottom) or two to three nine inch pies (tops and bottoms again).

I bake a lot of pies. I feel vaguely guilty that I don't make my own crusts.
Pillsbury crusts are faster and better than any I ever made so I'm a Pillsbury dough boy!
Are there any opinions here about whether lard or Crisco makes the better crust? Or which might be the least unhealthy? My money is on lard over Crisco since the transfat content of crisco might be worse than the cholesterol in lard.

I always use lard simply because it makes a better crust IMO. I figure the amount of fat you ingest in one normal sized piece of pie is not worth worrying about in the long run. And I guess it depends on whether you are worried more about the cholesterol content or the trans fat thing. I am currently reading about trans fats and triglyceride levels and I think that would be more my concern. BUT its only one piece of pie. Everything in moderation. The key should be what makes the tastier crust IMO, and for me thats lard.

Elfie, :-p you KNOW I was only THINKING of you! Teehee!

Beginner Chef...any word? How did it go?

It turned out pretty good, the pie I'm making is an apple cheesecake, so since i was so anxious to see how my crust turned out, i didn't wait for it to cool, so it was runny but sooo good! Thank you!

I'm guessing i might not have added enough water when i was mixing it though, because when i was rolling it out, it kept cracking, and just seemed dry..

I'm making another pie today, and am glad i don't have to run to the store and buy a pre made crust!! Thanks again!

Its OK if it is a bit dry, you just want enough water so the dough sticks together. Try mixing the fat in a bit more (just knead it with your hands a bit more) and the dough won't "crack" so much when you roll it out.

Glad the second batch is coming out better for you. I have a food processor, but I did not use it in preparing the pie dough, I use a pastry cutter like Alix mentioned in previous posts. I guess I should have mentioned that in the first place. Looks like Alix took good care of you!

It's alright sattie, i will give you recipe a second try sometime! I probably should've something a bit simpler for my very first attempt..:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom