Pie crust for pot pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Hello. So I was reading an article on making a pie crust for a classic quiche lorraine. Now I wasn't interested in this dish, but interested in the pie crust. It said it could be used for 2 9 inch pie crusts. I couldn't figure out of that mean 2 crusts for ONE pie or enuf for to pie's. Anyways, I set out to make 2 turkey pot pie's.

The pie recipe consisted of the following ingredients with instructions on what to do if you want to use a food processor.

12 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (about 2 ¼ cups)
9 ounces butter (2 sticks), cut into small pieces, frozen
2 to 4 ounces ice water
½ teaspoon sea or kosher salt

FAST FORWARD: End result was awesome. I really liked it.

Problems? Well it says: "Stop adding water as soon as the dough starts clumping together (it shouldn’t all hold together in a ball yet, if it does, chances are you added too much water)"

It was hard to tell. I kept adding water, but it didn't seem to be coming together. I reached in with my hand and was able to get it together with my hand, but there was still some very dry crumbs on the bottom of the processor and that were hard to clump up with my hands.

Than I separated it into 4 sections and put into refrigerator over night. I'm not sure if your suppose to bring it to full room temperature before rolling out, but it was hard to roll out. I was hard to roll out to make my 2 pie's. I managed, but it didn't get wrapped around the plate. I kind of tucked it in at the edge of the plate. The dough was also not super smooth but almost stickly like. I used flour to help but didn't take long for it to suck up the flour.

But, what ever I did - it was reallly!!! good. lol
One of the best pie crusts I've made I think.

Last edited:
you can usually tell if a recipe has around 2 1/2 cups flour that it will be enough for 1 double crust 9" pie. recipes that call for 3 cups usually work well for 10" plates. That's what I go by.

I just made a crust and popped my turkey pot pie in the oven. I'm not expecting much since I didn't have enough time for the dough to rest.

It's supposed to be rolled out cold. Every ingredient should be cold when you combine them, too.

My mom made great crusts and pretty much broke all the rules. She would use crisco right out of the tub, water out of the tap and would roll it out immediately. Sure maybe it could have been more flaky, but they were always tender and tasty.

I am not even sure that she measured anything for pie crust.

For all my single crust pies I use "rough puff" to get a very flaky finish, you just freeze the butter then grate it into the flour, add iced water, bring together quickly with a fork, knead quickly then chill and rest.:yum:

For all my single crust pies I use "rough puff" to get a very flaky finish, you just freeze the butter then grate it into the flour, add iced water, bring together quickly with a fork, knead quickly then chill and rest.:yum:

What's the difference between a "rough puff" and a pâte brisée?

Brisee like pate sucree is almost biscuit like, rough puff is the cheats method of making puff pastry without the repeated lamination. The frozen shreds of butter will create layers and pockets when you roll then bake.
I forgot to mention for snake and pigmy pie I use a simple suet crust. Mix the beef suet with self raising flour then add water to make your paste.
You can also add herbs or say some horseradish sauce and drop blobs in stew to make a very tasty dumpling.:)

I sub half the water with vodka which is supposed to reduce the amount of gluten that forms when you mix it all together. Seems to work pretty well. I also will use a little lard in place of Crisco which adds a little more flavor to the crust (it's good even for sweet pies).

I sub half the water with vodka which is supposed to reduce the amount of gluten that forms when you mix it all together. Seems to work pretty well. I also will use a little lard in place of Crisco which adds a little more flavor to the crust (it's good even for sweet pies).

Acid inhbits gluten formation so I generally add a T of white vinegar to my ice water.

My pie came out great, by the way. My slapdash crust was tender and tasty and the filling was also tasty. I always use a lot if soupy sauce and try to hold off eating it until the next day so the sauce is absorbed.

jennyema said:
Acid inhbits gluten formation so I generally add a T of white vinegar to my ice water.

My pie came out great, by the way. My slapdash crust was tender and tasty and the filling was also tasty. I always use a lot if soupy sauce and try to hold off eating it until the next day so the sauce is absorbed.

I used a recipe for crust with egg yolk and vinegar mixed into the ice water for my thanksgiving pies. The vinegar allowed me to add a bit more liquid without making the crust tough, it was really easy to work with and came out really tender and flakey! I'll definitely use this recipe again.

I've done the vodka thing too, and it was good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom