"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Pies & Pastries

Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

I've been using a recipe similar to Alix's, and the same thing happens: it refuses to stay in one piece. I just arrange the pieces in the pie dish and on top of the filling and "glue" them together with a dab of milk. Within the family they are known as my "frankenpies", but no-one really cares what they look like

Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
Master Chef

What everyone else said.

Also, you may not be using enough water. America's Test Kitchen claims that that is the #1 mistake with pie crusts and that it's better to err on the side of a bit too much than a bit too little.

The amount of water you need will vary with the humidity of the kitchen and the type of flour you use.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
This is the pie crust recipe I use and comes out perfectly every time.

300g(10,5oz) flour
120g(4oz+) butter (unsalted)
120g(4oz+) sugar
1 egg

cut the cold butter in small cubes and rub them into the flour. Add sugar and mix them evenly. drop the egg in then knead the dough until it attains a smooth dough. Wrap it in a plastic wrap and let it rest in a fridge for circa 1 hour before stretch onto the pie sheet.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:59 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Thanks for your tips everyone. I ended up tossing the pie crust dough I made last night. Could it be the sugar I added? And I did wrap the dough with plastic and refrigerated it overnight...oops. I just made a new dough this morning and added one egg and "no" sugar. That seemed to work better and the egg made it stick together. This requires patience...which I lack. Thanks again anyway guys.

Dina
Old 10-19-2005, 06:14 PM   #15
Everymom

I think the sugar is definitely the culprit. I also agree with jennyema, I generally put more water in than most folks think is required, but I just make it so all the dough "sticks" together in a ball.

I do think though that you need to be careful not to overwork pastry dough. That is generally the problem when it falls apart. When you get it all stuck together just pinch it in the middle to get two balls, lightly flour your rolling pin and the surface you are going to use. Take the first half of the dough and shape it into a flattened ball and then roll it out to the size of your pie plate. Put it in, sprinkle some flour in and fill it up. Repeat with the top crust.

I have made this post assuming you are using the recipe I posted, I have never used another recipe as this one works well for me.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:23 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Sugar doesn't hurt the dough at all... I use sugar all the time and have no problem. The egg should keep it together.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:30 PM   #17
Everymom

More in terms of amount licia, it sounded like a lot of sugar to me. Sweetening the dough wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't think.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:16 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I am not an expert of Brisèe crust, but I found this recipe that seems credible... this is made without sugar, good for quiche etc. savoury pies.

http://www.cuisine-french.com/cgi/md...isee1_ill.html
Old 10-19-2005, 09:59 PM   #19
Head Chef

I think it's so interesting to see how differently everyone makes their pie crusts. I'm terrible at it. I'm a great bread maker...but HATE making pie crusts. I buy (pillsbury???) crusts that you just lay in the pie tins. My mom is the BEST pie maker ever. Here's her recipe (though following the recipe doesn't make my crusts come out like hers!):

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup shortening
1/4 cup cold water

Cut the shortening into the flour and salt. Add cold water and mix. Makes 1 double crust and 1 single crust.

Mom always sprinkles her top crust with sugar before baking.

Also she rolls her crusts between waxed paper...

callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Callie,
My Mom's the best in making pie crusts too. Moms are always the best cooking teachers, by far! I went over to visit with her this afternoon and over a great chat and a nice cup of coffee she whipped up an apple pie with homemade crust and all! She's absolutely fabulous! You know where I'll be getting my pastry tips from. Happy baking and thanks for posting your recipe.

Dina

Tags
None