Pie crust issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
I think I'm just going to have to start ordering my pies.......I have the worst luck with them.

I made 2 pumpkin pies and I remembered last year the crust at the edges in areas became very dark. This year I covered the edges of the crust with aluminum foil after baking for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. I then lowered the heat to 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Well the edges came out nicely....but the stinking aluminum foil stuck to some areas of the pumpkin filling and ruined the presentation..........errrrr :angry:

I made 2 chocolate and one turned out pretty nice and the other some of the edge got a little darker than I wanted. Didn't think I'd have to put any alum. foil on it as it was only going to be in the oven about 9 minutes......errrrr:furious:

Oh well.....I'll just pipe on whipped cream on the pumpkin pies to cover up my boo boos. As for the chocolate.....I just cute off the areas that were too done......those pies never last anyway. Between my boys they'll be gone before I can blink.

Sizz, its' rather unfortunate that your pumpkin pies did not turn out as well as you have expected. Whenever I bake pumpkin or apple pies, I usually prebake the crust first for about 15 minutes at 180 degrees C/350 degrees F. Once it's filled, I bake uncovered for another hour at the same temperature. They usually turn out very well with a light brown crust and the top just right.

Sizz,
i've tried the foil and if I don't end up breaking the crust trying to fit the thing around it, it stickes to the surface. So, I went and bought the rings that fit over the pie crust edge, keeps them light and nice..Well worth it to not feel like you're serving something that the kids have taken a taste of ahead of time:LOL:

making mistakes is how we all learn. don't give up!

15 min. at 425 sounds like a bit too much. i generally preheat my oven to 425 or so, but turn it down immediatlely. good luck on your next pie
icon12.gif

Hi,. as someone who bakes a whollleee lotta pies. I never ever ever heat my oven up to 425

I keep my pies (pecan apple pumpkin etc) at 375.. ive never had burnt edges andi find the filling cooks nicely with the crust!

Try that and you should have better success. Oh and a rule of thumb for something like pumpkin or pecan do not blind bake the shell!

I place my oven rack on the second lowest notch in the oven, put the pie in at 400 for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350. The lower placement will keep the bottom crust crisp, and prevent the top from burning.
It took me years to figure this out...probably because it's such a simple solution.

Thanks for responding everyone. I was baking the pumpkin pie as the directions on the libby pumpkin pie filling directed me to. I will def. try and locate the crust rims that protect the crust when baking. I'll wait a week or so and give the whole pie thing another shot. It if works out then an added bonus for the Christmas dinner. Thanks again everyone for your encouragement and advice.

Here is a great thing to use in making your crust. Not butter. Not shortening. Lard. My grandmother had the best pie crust in the past using lard. Flakey, tender and delicious! You professional pie bakers probably already knew this.

Back
Top Bottom