Pie Crust Recipe!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use Martha Stewart's pate brisee recipe from her website - it's all butter and tastes great.

there are all kinds of things people add and variations on ratios, but the classic, traditional short crust recipe is difficult to top:

3:2:1 - meaning 3 parts flour, 2 parts shortening, 1 part water

i use butter. i also find that you can increase the ratio of flour a bit and perhaps decrease the water a bit, but i never measure the water. i just eyeball it. keep everything well chilled, don't cut up the shortening too small and don't overwork the dough. starting off the first 5 or 10 minutes or so at 400 degrees and then reducing to 350 will help crisp up the lower crust to some extent, too.

also, do a search on pie crusts in this forum. there are many threads with plenty of do's & don'ts.

icon12.gif

Last edited:
made my first from scratch pie crust this weekend for a savory entree dish. I followed all the directions and everything seemed to be working ok...but I didn't get it moist enough I guess. It was crumbly rather than flaky, and absorbed all the moisture from the filling...tasted great, but had the dryness of shoofly pie!!! not what I was hoping for...so next time...I 'm guessing I'll get it right in the next two or three tries... It is hard to write a description of the texture and feel of the dough no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom