Pie Crust Too Flaky !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna3

Assistant Cook
:( I made 4 beautiful pie crusts this weekend (tenderflake recipe). The pastry rolled easily and baked perfectly. But when I cut the pie (meat pie), the pastry fell apart. Does anyone know what I did wrong? Or a solution to this problem? Much appreciated!

Last edited:
Work the dough just a bit more. Also, adding just a bit more water to the dough helps it adhere together better. If all else fails, you can add egg white to dough to give it more protien, again, hlding it together better. But with extra kneeding, and the addition of egg white, you will lose some tenderness. But it will still be acceptable.

A tip, when making meat pies, I add bullion of an appropriate flavor to the pie-dough, to compliment the pie flavor. You can also add various herbs and spices to the pie-dough as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Flakiness is achieved when pieces of cold fat are mixed with the flour -- they keep the flour from adhering to itself and create layers of dough as the fat melts and creates steam.

For less flaky pie crust, combine the fat and flour till it looks like cornmeal. Or use room temp fat or some oil.

For more flaky pie crust, combine the fat and flour till it looks like peas. And use ice cold fat.

i've got to admit, too flaky a pie crust is the most unusual complaint i've heard in a long time.

maybe you can post your dough recipe so we can take a gander at it.

also, perhaps the crust wasn't the matter at all. maybe the meat filling was just too juicy. fruit pies usually require flour or tapioca or some such starch to absorb overabundant juices. perhaps you could toss the meat filling with some bread crumbs or herbed croutons if you think this might be the culprit.

icon12.gif

Back
Top Bottom